PDA

View Full Version : Wanna test your smarts?

Deadly Zero
15-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Ok i have a series of question that ive been asked in my lifetime and now i will ask you all.
most of them are from a game i had fun with called Mind trap.
ok heres the first question

"Therein lies the secret," said Scheming Suzie.
"For you see, there is a seven letter word in the english language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters."
What is the word?

Judgment
15-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Therein : the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, therein and herein.

DO I GET A PRIZE ^_^

Deadly Zero
15-02-2005, 01:38 AM
how'd you know??

Ok heres the next one:

An old beggar collects cigarette ends from ashtrays and sidewalks and uses the tobacco to roll her own cigarettes. She has this practice down to a fine art, knowing that seven cugarette ends will make one cigarette. Since she has collected 49 ends, how many cigarettes can she make from these?

whiteninja
15-02-2005, 03:18 AM
logic says 7 (49 ends / 7 ends per cigarette = 7 cigarettes). but there's probably something deeper than that.

Deadly Zero
15-02-2005, 10:23 PM
its eight cigarettes. becuase it says seven ends make ones cig, and she had seven cigs that she made so she can make one more. ok heres another
How many three cent stamps are in a dozen?

Sd28
15-02-2005, 10:37 PM
6 i think not quite sure

whiteninja
16-02-2005, 01:23 AM
"How many three cent stamps are in a dozen" -WHAT- ?

in a dozen of eggs: 0
in a dozen of donuts: 0
in a dozen homework assigments i have to do: 0

if you're talking about in a dozen cents it'd be four, but if you're saying in a dozen stamps, it'd be anywhere from 0-12 stamps that are worth 3 cents depending on the cost of each stamp.

stamps cost 37 cents now anyway.

flickynick
16-02-2005, 09:16 AM
its eight cigarettes. becuase it says seven ends make ones cig, and she had seven cigs that she made so she can make one more. ok heres another
How many three cent stamps are in a dozen?

*shrugs*

Deadly Zero
16-02-2005, 10:59 PM
most people say four but flickynick got it right. there are 12 three cent stamps in a dozen but whiteninja was partially right too
heres the next on:

This is a most unusual paragraph. How quickly can you find out whats is so unusual about it? It looks so ordinary you'd think nothing was wrong with it - and in fact, nothing is wrong with it. It is unusual though. Why? Study it, think about it, and you may find out. Try to do it without coaching. If you work at it for a bit it will dawn you in. So jump to it and try your skill at figuring it out. Good luck - dont blow your cool!

masterofchaos
17-02-2005, 04:42 PM
There is no letter E uber ninja figured it out.

zero132132
17-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Yah definately no letter E.

whiteninja
17-02-2005, 09:13 PM
there's also no x or z

Deadly Zero
18-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Yes it is true that there is no x or z in it but the most common letter in the enhlish language is E and it wasnt in the entire paragraph :P
Heres the next one

There is a cage at the proton city zoo that holds a variety of jungle animals and creatures. in this cage there are 11 heads and 20 feet. there are twice as many jungle creatures with four feet as there are jungle creatures with two feet. how many creatures of each kind are in the cage?

zero132132
18-02-2005, 01:33 AM
That's not possible. When you turn the two different requirements into equations, heads being 2x+y=11 and feet being 4x+2y=20, when you combine the two equations you come out with 10=11 which is obviously not true.

Another reason it doesn't work is that you can not have a number that is twice as large as the other number add up to 11. The closest you can get is 4+8 which is twelve heads. So unless the animals have more than one head this obviously does not work.

Deadly Zero
18-02-2005, 01:38 AM
oh but you are very wrong my freind the answer is
4 four-footed animals, 2 two-footed animals, and 5 snakes

whiteninja
18-02-2005, 04:40 AM
but the wording you used stated that the animals had to be of either a 4-footed or a 2-footed nature.

by your way of saying it you could have:
2 four legged ones - total 8 legs, 2 heads
1 two legged one - total 10 legs, 3 heads
3 three legged ones - total 19 legs, 6 heads
1 one legged one - total 20 legs 7 heads
4 zero legged ones - total 20 legs, 11 heads

some of the animals were just mutated or amputees :P . you really need to be more specific in your questions.

oh but you are very wrong my friend

Deadly Zero
18-02-2005, 03:28 PM
no i was right i didnt say all of them had feet i just said there were twice as many four footed than two footed and there was and then there were 5 snakes so i am right all you had to do was think more about all the animals in the world and you would have gotten it.the question was like that to make you think that all were footed animals to confuse you thats why its called mind trap.

heres another:

Hardy Pyle was washing windows on a high-rise office nuilding when he slipped and fell off a sixty foot ladder onto the concrete sidewalk below. Incredibly, he did not injure himself in any way. How was this possible??

decswxaqz
18-02-2005, 07:16 PM
He was on the bottom rung/step.

I'm also afraid that I don't agree with your previous statement. You virtually said there were only two sorts of animals. If that was the case, you could have something like 1 4 leg, 2 2 leg, and a spider or fish if you can have a snake. It's far too misleading.

How about one I was told (very old)

Someone is trapped in a room. It has concrete walls, ceiling and floor. They can not be broke, or damaged in anyway. There are no doors, or windows. How does the person get out?

Deadly Zero
19-02-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm also afraid that I don't agree with your previous statement. You virtually said there were only two sorts of animals. If that was the case, you could have something like 1 4 leg, 2 2 leg, and a spider or fish if you can have a snake. It's far too misleading.

thats how its supposed to be to make you think its impossible but if you think about it long enough its says a variety which means more than one kind.
uhh the answer to your question i do not know but ive heard it before. Time to take a trip down memory lane to remember.

whiteninja
19-02-2005, 02:05 PM
i think i know decs's thing: there are only 3 walls. you said that it has concrete walls, but you never said how many. so its a rectangular room with 3 walls which allows you to walk out the empty side.

Serpent7
20-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Quite smart there...

decswxaqz
20-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Ok then, it has 4 walls... a typical room with 4 walls, ceiling and floor.

Deadly Zero
21-02-2005, 06:15 AM
was the person in the room to begin with?
heres another question:

The cops found a woman dead in a hotel room. The only things in her room were the bed, her, and a pair os scissors. the cops said that the scissors had been in important instrument in her death but the weird thing is there wasnt any cutmarks,visible blood, or any bruises. How is it that the woman had been murdered by the scissors?

(For all you people who think my questions are misleading they are supposed to be like this thats why the game is called Mind Trap)

decswxaqz
21-02-2005, 11:14 AM
She swallowed them.

She was in the room.
It is kind of silly so I'll post the answer but hidden

*SPOILER*
They walked through the doorframe/empty space where the DOOR should have been
*END SPOILER*

Deadly Zero
21-02-2005, 02:08 PM
I was gonna say she opened the door.
The Answer to my question is she had been sleeping on a waterbed and the bed was cut by the scissors causing her to drown. Decs you were on the right path but you didnt get it.

heres another:

Sid Shady is in jail and is planning his escape. His cell which is on the 3rd floor is 30 meters above the ground level. Shady managed to remove one of the bars from the window, enablinh him to squeeze through. He has a rope but it is only 15 meters in length and a fall of 15 meters would be too dangerous. Aside from the bars on thw window there is nothing else above or below where he could fasten the rope. However using just the rope shady was able to escape safely. How?

decswxaqz
21-02-2005, 03:07 PM
I might know this but don't want to spoil it for the others :)
And she could have swallowed them since you said no VISIBLE blood... since you said that I thought it was internal... so I could have been right ;)

Also can you reduce your sig by a few lines please? 3?

Deadly Zero
21-02-2005, 03:11 PM
oh my sig sure ill do it sorry if it was to big though :)

Deadly Zero
05-03-2005, 02:13 PM
is anyone gonna try to answer the question?

Danny
05-03-2005, 09:29 PM
dougt it

heres One: A man is dead in a phone box. the glass has been smashed.There is a fishing rod leaning on the wall.

How did he die?

Eden Fourthedge
05-03-2005, 09:51 PM
dougt it

heres One: A man is dead in a phone box. the glass has been smashed.There is a fishing rod leaning on the wall.

How did he die?

There are loads of possible answers.
1. Someone shot him.
2. He smashed his head on the glass, and has a terrible allergy to transparent materials.
3. He ran out of change when on the phone, and so took his life in a slow-motion fishing-rod glass-smashing carnage-fest.

The list goes on.

decswxaqz
06-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Zero.

1) He tied the rope onto the next cell down or got one of the cell mates to hold it
2) Split the rope is half and tied one end to the other.

Deadly Zero
08-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Decs your second answer is right he split the rope in half making it slimmer but twice the length.
ill edit in another question when i think of one

decswxaqz
08-03-2005, 07:12 PM
The rope might not be strong enough in two.

zero132132
08-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Another room question.

There is a room with no doors/windows. It has four walls, a ceiling and a floor. There is a bench and a mirror in the room. How do you escape?

Hint: There is no hole behind the mirror.

decswxaqz
08-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Alice in Wonderland :) Step through the looking glass!!! :D ^____^

zero132132
08-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Not quite but you have the right idea.

Edit: Anybody else care to try?

God-IX
09-03-2005, 12:53 PM
er...DAMN i remember this question my friends told me the answer, something about cutting the mirror in half, and put one half with another and you get a hole and crawl through the hole or something??

zero132132
09-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah but it also involves the bench.

The answer is:

Look in the mirror. See what you saw. Use the saw to cut the bench in half. Two halves make a whole. Jump through the hole. :P

God-IX
09-03-2005, 02:22 PM
HA! i knew it had something to do witha saw, but i forgto how he got the saw.. lol

zero132132
09-03-2005, 08:03 PM
When I first heard that one I absolutely hated it but it kind of grew on me I guess.

Deadly Zero
10-03-2005, 03:16 AM
oh i wouldnt of figured that one out. heres another:

NASA was considering sending canaries into space to study them under zero gravity. The project was scrapped when someone realized in spite of having sufficient water supplies, they could die of dehydration within a few hours. Why?

God-IX
10-03-2005, 01:34 PM
er...i think i know the answer....but....i don't wanna say it because i know this is a trick question....I hate trick Questions... i give up i don't know the answer

Deadly Zero
11-03-2005, 12:37 AM
anyone else gonna post?? im gonna go ahead and give the answer since i doubt anyone will find it out. the answer is birds unlike humans, need gravity to swallow. Humans can swallow even while hanging upside down.

God-IX
11-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Interesting.....I didn't know that..

Mirinee
11-03-2005, 12:41 PM
That's a good one. They should send pigeons instead :P.

Deadly Zero
11-03-2005, 02:56 PM
i didnt know it either till bout a week ago when i found the card that had the question on it. ill post up another in a bit

whiteninja
11-03-2005, 10:05 PM
they could have used IV's (the medical bags of liquid with the needle in your arm, or in this case wing) to feed and hydrate them :P

Deadly Zero
12-03-2005, 12:53 AM
they could have used IV's (the medical bags of liquid with the needle in your arm, or in this case wing) to feed and hydrate them :P
lol thats true but it would look a lil funky

Mini_Bert
12-03-2005, 01:22 AM
No they couldn't, IV's use gravity to feed the liquid through!

whiteninja
12-03-2005, 04:19 AM
you could get a pump then. just not a very strong one or it would pump all the liquid into the bird at once.

Deadly Xero
12-03-2005, 08:04 PM
is this thread about asking questions and answering them?

whiteninja
13-03-2005, 03:06 AM
its all riddles and trick questions. you should read the whole thread until you're up to date, before you post.