Ragol.co.uk Forums  

Go Back   Ragol.co.uk Forums > Community > Fan Works

Old 14-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Adept Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Sagasu
Fan Fic: Contamination

This is the very short prologue for the fiction contamination. Don't worry if your confused at its end, that would be normal, and expected. Hopefully this will set up the feel for the story.

Contamination
Prologue

Crash Course

Dots sprayed upon the night time blanket shone vividly, while splashes of color contrasting with the darkness marked the outer rim of a unknown galaxy. A monolithic structure rushes through this starry expanse, aware of the threats it left behind, yet clueless to the difficulties ahead. But the immediate danger, however, posed the greatest threat of them all . The pioneer project, man's last hope for survival, who would have guessed it was a one way ticket to oblivion. The population of thirty-thousand sentient life beings was nothing compared to those left on Coral, those left to die on their forsaken homeland. Still, thirty thousand was nothing to laugh about, and just the presence of the desperate beings attracted death..

It called it to them..

Their love, their fear, their hatred of the future brought devastation upon their shoulders.

It came..

It came without warning..

It came without mercy..

A glistening sphere, glowing a silvery blue, with a white hotness this ghost streaked across the distance between it and the target. Meeting the vessel with a blinding flash, the orb disrupted those inside with a great tension. Rest assured, merely a stray meteorite, that is what they where told, and their lies helped bring the inevitable fate to a close, denying many a soul the right to live. Concerned but ignorant, they continue on, onwards with the seed implanted. Those in charge chose to study this, 'thing', unsure and unafraid of the reaper that it called unto them.

At the same moment, A second missile is launched. It hurtles through nothingness towards the second ship, designed to carry civilians. Civilians, not soldiers, not warriors. Helpless lambs gathered for the slaughter. Deeper within the folds of space, the source of these little parasites is discovered. A sight that mankind will never see, only feel its clutches when being devoured.

The Pioneer 2..

This is where it began

This is where it ends..

Chapters, are much longer(20 pages each, approx), and I will be posting upon completion. So I cannot guarantee when you"ll get the first segment, but hopefully, not too far from now.

Hope to see you all then

Last edited by Lionheart; 21-08-2004 at 04:53 AM.
Old 14-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Rookie Amateur

Send a message via AIM to Azbats
It oozes suspense which is lovely thing to see and remindes me very much of War of the Worlds and the cyclinders that were fired from Mars

Interesting also to see a piece that doesn't look like it's going to be set on Ragol either. Remember you can only post 10,000 characters per post, so you'll really have to chop it up into different posts [my piece was 6 pages long and 18,000 characters, so you're looking at about 6 - 7 posts for 20 pages, lol

Good luck. promising start

Azbats... HUmar... lvl 72... Bluefull

Javah... HUcast... lvl 60... Viridia

Dana... RAmarl... lvl 1... Skyly
Old 14-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Adept Hunter

Ohh yes, war of the worlds

I think I'll be listening to that while reading chapter 1, it would give the perfect atmosphere for this story!
Old 14-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Adept Hunter

wow, thats awesome complex writing there.
i'm not a frequent reader of fanfics but this little intro made me want to read on.

good work!

"Elevator <('.'<) ? (>'.')> Escalator"
Old 14-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Adept Hunter

heh..

thanks.

I've started upon chapter 1, hopefully it will be done bye late tommorow, or the day after.

Approximatley 15-20 pages
Old 15-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Team PSUniverse.net-X

im lookin forward to reading your story

Old 18-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Adept Hunter

Alright guys, heres the deal.

I did not get the time planned for writing, so right now I'm about half way through. I plan to work through the rest of today, the night, and into the morning. Chapter 1 shall problably be posted then, if not, sometime tommorow afternoon when I wake up

Sorry to keep you all waiting
Old 18-08-2004, 03:56 AM
Adept Hunter

Small warning: Harsh language and some adult themes come into play in this fiction.

Contamination
Chapter 1

Outbreak

The lazy drone of the classroom fan could be heard over the teacher's dull, monotonous voice, making it hard for the students to make out just what she was saying. The Newman's ears could easily have sorted out who was saying what, if he had cared, but right now his attention was focused elsewhere. Neuri, a FOmarl in training, shifted uncomfortably in the hard seats they had been provided with, causing his gaze to travel along with the female's "features". Her eyes turned to meet his for a moment, yet the young FOnewm did not look away with shame. He smiled, but more importantly, she smiled back. The human force turned and whispered something to a friend of hers, and immediately the two had to suppress their giggles. The newman would like to take this as a very good sign, and turned to face the teacher as she rapped on her desk and called out his name.

"Kangae! Have you heard a word I just said?" Their teacher, as pretty as she was, had quite the temper. Though she always managed to get the lesson across them, her usually boring manner of doing so made her the least favorite of his teachers. The subject though, was interesting to say the least. Magical arts in all their glory, yet they seldom had the chance to practice in class.

"No ma'am, after the first couple the rest just seemed to slur together." This resulted in some laughter from the other students, the sound of which he relished. They were silenced with a cold glare from Ms. Jibun, but his goals had been accomplished for the day, so he didn't particularly care about the consequences to follow.

"You do know that your failing, Kangae.. Or would you like me to read your grades to the class? If you keep this up, your going to have to drop out of the academy." The newman merely shrugged this off,

"We all know that in this factory, only the tests matter. Even if I don't ace the written tests, you know my usefulness in the field will get me through." Kangae smirked, knowing it was the truth. The Hunters Academy was churning out "successful" students at an unusually rapid rate, making some question the government's motives behind funding so much in the training hunters.

"Oh really? In the real battle field, the ones with attitudes like yours are the first to fall."

"Either that, or the first to become famous war heroes." The Newman retorted. His teacher sighed, and sat down with a raised hand.

"That's enough Kangae, this discussion is over. Tomorrow will be a training day, so I want you all to make sure to get a good nights rest. And that does not mean go party with your friends till the early hours, I think we all know who I'm referring to. Your all dismissed, so you can get out of my classroom now."

"What about the meteorite that hit us earlier on? Haven't they given you any more details besides that?" A random hunter in the back added, while others merely gathered their belongings and headed out the door. Neuri was amongst those who left, so Kangae decided his best move would follow suite, despite his own curiosity. Luckily, Ms. Jibun merely dismissed the question with a wave. For a moment his consience took over, when he saw the lines of worry crease her face, and some sort of desperation behind her eyes trigged a sense inside him. This instinct he could read easily, he knew something was wrong, he could feel it.. But another promising look from the apple of his eye shrouded this, and he chose to follow.

Not three steps away from the classroom door, did a screaming whistle fill the air as the ground trembled suddenly. A shining object came crashing through the roof, burying itself into the floor, blasting away chairs and desks, forcing all in the area to fall to their knees or knocking them flat on their backs. Their room was on the bottom level of the hunter's academy, so the second 'meteorite' had nowhere else to force itself into. Shattered metal blew apart while deep cracks ran deep along the floor, those unfortunate enough to still be within the premise of the initial crater were thrown back against the wall, breaking bones in some, while lapsing others into unconsciousness. The building groaned, as if acknowledging that it had been shot by this mysterious object. Previous cause forgotten, Kangae rushed back the way he just came. Several students lay wounded, while the teacher was just recovering from her fall. In the middle of the massive dent was the source of their troubles, a smooth, silver orb. This itself glowed with heat, causing the Newman the step back and wrinkle his eyes as the extreme change in temperatures caused his skin to tingle uncomfortably. Ms. Jibun was up and over to the fallen students, the FOnewm followed her without hesitation. Kneeling beside the same wounded, his teacher motioned to the burns.

"Can you take care of these?" Though her voice was hoarse, she still struggled to maintain a level of authority in it. He nodded deftly in response, and watched her for a moment as she stepped over to another student. Kangae let his fingers brush against the burns, a soft, greenish blue light flickered where he numbed the pain and repaired burnt skin and nerves. He knew this not by trade, or of disciplined knowledge, he went entirely by feel. The charred bits of flesh felt ugly, white tinged by a sickening red. When he reached out through them, he could feel what they felt, their pain, and their relief. And then it was over, the tinged and brutal feeling gone, taken into himself and destroyed by the purifying green. Kangae opened his eyes, not remembering that he had closed them. The Newman was glad to see the smooth, flawless flesh left behind on the shoulder of the female. Pretty, but nothing compared to Neuri. He moved on, working as fast and as efficient as possible. Once you heal someone, you know not only the pain that they feel, but the ending relief and pleasure from the magic taking its effect. In this sense, healing was somewhat addictive, and was strictly monitored and supervised in schools and on the fields. Unless the situation proved dire, students were not allowed to use such magic. Yet the teacher had disregarded this completely, and all for the sake of some mere burns. The FOnewm was seriously considering not giving Ms. Jibun a hard time anymore. They made quick work of the situation, but when Kangae turned to speak to the elder female she merely shook her head. Healed students around them stared dully around, and at the object that had struck such calamity in the classroom; While they assured the healers they were fine, one girl, the first that the FOnewm had worked with, had curled herself up into a ball and was whimpering on the floor.

Kangae snorted, some people simply had no endurance. Brushing a long strand of dark red hair out of his eyes, the newman force turned to inspect the orb that had fallen into the Hunter Academy. As he watched, the silver sphere, the color now recognizable since it was no longer glowing from heat, rose, perhaps three feet from the ground. Then it began to spin on an axis, slowly, deliberately, showcasing the dull runes carved into the metal. As it spun, his ears twitched, several times, and then ceased entirely. Also, the female on the ground broke into a scream, shouting profanities and uttering curses. Yet out of the slurred words came something that sent a chill through his spine,

"There's something inside my head, Ms. Jibun, I can see it.. I can see it crawling.." For a moment the teacher had calmed the school girl to a whisper, but then the shouting started anew as the orb shifted in its axis. Again his lengthy newman ears twitched, and he had to admit that it was getting annoying. Kangae's green eyes registered the fear and hatred wreathed on her face, and for the moment the female simply mouthed words of sorrow, and questions of hatred. It was only a matter of time before an investigation squad came down came down and confiscated the article in question, within five beats afterwards, the students were called back to their dormitories. Inquisitions asked were met with harsh, biting remarks that gave them no answers, something was obviously chewing on the official's nerves, but they suspected it would be a long time 'till the public was notified of any discoveries about just what the two orbs meant.

In a relatively little amount of time, the citizens of the Pioneer 2 retreated into their shells, trying to prepare themselves for the worst.

Last edited by Sagasu; 18-08-2004 at 04:39 AM.
Old 18-08-2004, 03:57 AM
Adept Hunter

"What, in the name of Coral, am I looking at here?"

"Sir, we honestly can say little other than its a large moving mass, heading towards us, with faint signs of life coming from inside." The underling replied in typical fashion, trying to muster some respect for the authorities when they really wanted to slap them for their brash words and terminal illiteracy. Their captain leaned forward, studying what he did not understand with an obvious un-interest.

"Can we destroy it? Or avoid it?" Again, the man that was substituting for their captain at the moment caused the others to just sigh, and shake their heads.

"Our colonization ship does not pack fire power, besides the militia, but they are basically infantry, not what we would use to destroy this thing. It has been following us for quite some time now, and do you honestly think we're piloting this ship? The Pioneer 2 is crewed by computers, not us, besides establishing orbit and landfall, there is little we can do besides sit and watch."

"Fine then.." The man who had purchased his rank yawned, and leaned back, still unconcerned about the two earlier recent events and this now much more potential danger.

"What happens when this thing hits us, and do we have any idea of its target?" He said, now starting to grasp that it was futile.

"Its traveling en route to the second orb, yet this thing is much larger, and will not be able to puncture through our hull like the others did."

"All right, be prepared to get a maintenance team out to where it lands asap. We don't know what it is, so just in case things turn out like the second orb, we should begin an evacuation of the hunter academy. Send them home, though don't blare sirens through the entire colony."

"Understood.. your majesty sir." Muttered the man who had to endure the second-in-command's ignorance to the situation. Outside in the chill of space, a folded, disk like structure twirled towards its target, no intention but malice upon those inside.

Spinning in a glowing circle the smooth, flawlessly black metallic figure seemed like a wicked specter as white hot lines drilled into the softer metal of the Pioneer 2. If it could be compared to anything, the object when put next to a large spider, several qualities are seen as alike one another. Eight legs with deadly spikes protruding from underneath each of their three joints, all focusing around a central hub, which resembled a large disk with a looping blade that traveled from crest down to the opposite side, where it ended in an invisible point. From the legs came the drilling mechanisms, which in a short period of time, would breach the colonization ship's hull and make its way inside. A small craft observed these details, and quickly reported them in to the anxious bodies within the ship. But this act did not go unnoticed.

Leaping from its prone position, the offender cleared the distance between it and the maintenance team and quickly grappled onto it with unerring accuracy. Each of the jagged eight legs were driven ruthlessly into the heart of the vessel, skewering those inside and rendering the machine useless. Another orb, stuck in the 'back' of the circular hub of the invader pulsed with light, sending out another signal, which acted as the sign for the guillotine to be dropped. Swiftly and silently, the killing ended and the work resumed.

Many miles away, another monolith floated lazily in space. When this signal reaches the huge, rotating orb, the larger object to which it is attatched to, a simply gargantuan sphere, will begin to ripple. More machines of shining black metal shall press themselves against the substance that coated the surface, eventually, like a bubble, they will be allowed to clamber out with a thin film of their own, which prevented the milky white orb from being harmed in this process, this layer almost immediately dissipates once into open space. Soon a cloud of such monstrosities is formed, they crawl over one another, attempting to be the first one to propel themselves towards the hunt. Once in motion, they furl their legs around the bottom of the blade that extends below them, and wait emotionlessly for their destination to be reached. One after another, again and again, they come. They seek, they crave, they hunger.
Old 18-08-2004, 03:57 AM
Adept Hunter

"Damnit! What the hell is going on around here anyway?" Kangae swore loudly to himself as he ran through the corridors. They had been woken up by the staff that worked the night time shift on campus and were told that they to "follow and keep quiet." The FOnewm, dressed in naught but his boxers refused to be herded out like the rest of them. After a brief argument with the janitor he was allowed to "hurry up" and get some clothes. To his dismay, due to spilt coffee earlier that day and a reluctance to do laundry, the last of his clean clothing had been spoiled. Leaving him with only the 'hunters outfit' which all registered hunters were made to wear in the fields. These were garments given to him at the beginning of the year, and he only used them in the occasional class where combat training was issued since they had to learn to fight in the dress they would be battling in. Though in his mind, the only real reason for his puffy clothing was to prevent damage when he fell upon his buttocks, or to protect him against the unbearably hard seats in Ms. Jibun's classroom. Pulling on a clog with one hand while attempting to secure a headband in place with the other, to keep the long hair out of his eyes, he had hobbled out the door and into the deserted hallway. Now as he raced along equally empty corridors, he wondered if they had just left him there to manage on his own. The heavy click of his foot gear was the only audible sound besides the breath rushing in and out of his chest, though he was not quite as scrawny as most Newman's his age, he was never one to wake up from slumber quickly. Yet with the ear-splitting shriek of rending metal that greeted him echoing through the hallway, the last of his grogginess was immediately ripped away from him, filling his previously null mind with panic and confusion.

In the flickering lights of the corridor he could see plaster dust and other particles swirling in a shroud towards him, though the screams that followed this seemed like sighs after the horrendous noise that had left him temporarily deafened. Forcing his legs to carry him onwards, curiosity and a sense to do the 'right' thing spurred him around the next corner and in full sight of the monstrosity that awaited him there. The spider-like machine spun so that a glowing orb, identical to the one he had seen previously, faced him. Around what seemed to be the shadow's bulk he could see retreating classmates and the late night staff. Suddenly a massive clear gelatin blob was vomited from the black beast's belly, leaving trails of slime oozing down into the swirling whiteness inside. A large, red point in this creature pulsed with light, and then it melted down to the floor and split into a good twenty decent sized individual monsters, each bearing the red 'eye' which never ceased its sickening motion within its putrid shell. Without a sound these things launched themselves at the retreating students with amazing speed. The first, a young human female, was leapt upon and smashed to the ground. Immediately after, her frame was encompassed by the slimy blob and she began to quickly dissolve within it. Clothes disappeared revealing flesh eaten to muscle and bone, this too was devoured in a matter of seconds. As the process went on, it became larger, once it was finished, the creature split again, and continued chase. Yelling men and women had no effect upon their mindless actions, one by one, they were dragged down and consumed. Some tried feebly to hold their own against the monsters, yet spell casters seemed ineffective, fire and lighting absorbed harmlessly while clumsy ice spells were easily dodged, they all fell. As the last yelp of terror faded away, Kangae forced himself to back track, running away from the threat blindly as fast as his tired frame would allow him. From the now hollow shell of the black spider, a single blob dripped down, its yellow eye unlike those of its other brood. Clumsy and loaded down with a confused message, it wandered aimlessly, smacking into walls and then promptly slithering up them, only to fall back down with a satisfying splat upon the stone floors. Then it picked up the essence, the essence of life. It could smell the fear, it could sense the terror lurking, and the hunger ignited within it.

The creature set off after the FOnewm with in-human speed and stamina, traveling in no apparent fashion yet moving at a rapid pace. Kangae could see one of the blobs following him, and his already adrenaline pumped bloodstream was now pulsing with the fear of death. His feet pounded endlessly upon the hollow corridor, breathing was now a laborious effort, while cold sweat drenched his body. The layers of the red, black, and gold outfit he was wearing seemed to weigh him down, and the fabric of his infrequently used costume was stiff. All this only painted the picture of dying a miserable death more vividly in his mind, and only fueled him to drive on faster. Yet he was no god, and he began to look for other opportunities when his lungs felt like they were ready to burst from the strain. Up ahead was a bathroom, his legs about to give way, the newman had little choice. The simplified picture of a female wearing a dress passed his vision, indicating that he was indeed entering the girls restroom. Slamming the door behind him, all he could do was press his back against it and pant. Stopping so suddenly after running to hard was really killing him, causing his already sore muscles to catch fire and his vision to blur. Struggling to keep breathing and stop himself from choking, Kangae tried to practice the training he had learned there at the academy. But here, in the real situation, he found himself unable to recall upon the past, and only dwell upon the present. For a moment, silence reigned supreme. His heart beat rapidly as fear transfixed his body. Silence..

A wetness touching his ankle made him think he had wet himself, something that would shame him to no end if he had been conscious of his vanity at the time. But when he looked down to verify, only true, shock consumed him. The creature was oozing under the door and creeping up his right leg, Kangae panicked. Falling to the floor, the FOnewm clawed at the vile substance rapidly making its way up the length of his foreleg. Tears streamed down his face as his numb fingertips now were stuck to his leg by the gelatin like substance. Creeping, creeping.. ever so slowly did it manifest itself upon his figure. Now covering both his legs and past his arms, its chilling touch upon his neck induced regurgitation. He swallowed the bile, but that left him gasping for air. The creature took this time to find this lips and pour inside, he tried to spit it out but it clung like thick mucus, and tasted even more vile. One last whimper escaped his trembling figure before he fell unto unconsciousness, leaving his body helpless, and his mind in a chaotic jumble.

Flesh and bone stood no chance of survival..