Ragol.co.uk Forums  

Go Back   Ragol.co.uk Forums > Ragol.co.uk Matters > Ragol.co.uk Feedback

Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Knight

Send a message via AIM to pso king
could make the site a bit better.

all of the staff members always say things like "don't reopen old threads. when people do this you lock the threads. if you're going to lock the threads when the people post in them anyway why not lock them beforehand? this way the newer members can't reopen the old threads because they are ignorant of the rules or forgot to read the date. I realize this might be rather time consuming however. if it's really not worth it because of how long it'll take then just ignore or delete this. or you could just (and I mean no offense) maybe quit complaining when people reopen old threads
Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to K_I_R_E_E_K
They can bump old topics if the thing they are going to say is worth it.
If they bump the topic and they don't say something important (like quoting a member post from 2005) then the topic was actually bumped without any reason and we will lock it to avoid anymore posts.

However if you want to talk about any subject and don't like to bump, then you can create a new topic.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Bust a cap in the crowd!

Send a message via MSN to nomercy
Well first of all, posting in old as hell threads is a waste of time, since it pushes newer more important threads down. Nobody gives a crap about what you've found if you post somewhere that hasn't been posted in since 2005, it's a waste of time to read.

Why not lock them beforehand? Our mods aren't online 24/7, and it's a waste of their time to go through every section locking threads. However, when the situation arises where one needs to be locked, such as when a user posts "i agree" and that's it, they're on hand to get rid of it. I don't know what kind of forums you're used to (I assume Gaia Online from the way you attempt to police threads and enforce your own rules) but here, post quality is more important than quantity. If you're just going to post meaningless crap, then don't bother posting at all, because it just gets the thread locked, and you'll get told off for it.

Ignorant of the rules? Ignorance is no escape. When you sign up, you AGREE to the rules of the board, ergo it is assumed you read them. If you haven't, that doesn't matter, because you accepted them when you joined.

Quit complaining? Just lol, you're one of the biggest whiners here.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:49 AM
Rookie Amateur

In my opinion, as long as a post or thread contains substance and is related to the subject, then it should be fine. Regardless of the age of the post or thread, it shouldn't matter. Actually, most forums these days require a person to look for older threads before posting a new topic. If the topic exists, they should post in there. It makes more sense to me for cleanliness at least. Some forums also implement a feature that deletes topics after a set amount of time. Now in this forum's case that could be a useful tool but then it may delete topics that would potentially be helpful to late-comers. (Or does this forum already have such a feature?)
I remember back in the 90's when I was a single-digit-aged being that forums were a lot less strict. Over recent years I have noticed that so many forums have gone into focusing too much on ridiculous rules and enforcing them rather than making for a quality discussion area. But back in the 90's, a lot of forums that I used to frequent often had a few rules and that was more than enough. The rules were often things like no spamming, no flaming/insulting, and maybe a few others. Many forums even had sections that were not moderated and were a free for all. Of course those type of forum sections can get really nasty, so I don't see them as an absolute necessity.
Anyway, before any mods or members result to flaming me... I am not referring to Ragol.co.uk when speaking of overly-strict forums. Sure I may think that a few of the rules on Ragol.co.uk are a little stringent, but I follow them because I am interested in posting here.
But yeah, that's my opinion on the subject. Just some thoughts I had after a long day of repeatedly revising a musical piece for a client before finally getting approval.

-- Also, as for this old-posting rule that everybody seems to be so hung up on. It really is not listed in the Forum Rules or FAQ sections. So if someone wants to add that in there, that would be best if it is a rule.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to K_I_R_E_E_K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshi
Now in this forum's case that could be a useful tool but then it may delete topics that would potentially be helpful to late-comers.
Exactly, meaning the search feature will be worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshi
Sure I may think that a few of the rules on Ragol.co.uk are a little stringent, but I follow them because I am interested in posting here.
I never found the rules stringent, each rule has a reason to exist and maybe that's the reason why the comunity here is the one i like the most.

If you have any doubt about anything about the forum that isn't listed in the faqs or the rules, ask a mod or the admin.
For now it is adviced not to bump old topics, only bump them if what you want to post can actually bring some interesting discussion, even so i would recomend asking about a mod for permission.
The best solution is always to create a new topic.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshi View Post
Over recent years I have noticed that so many forums have gone into focusing too much on ridiculous rules and enforcing them rather than making for a quality discussion area.
I am more concerned with this issue than any of the rules on Ragol.co.uk... as long as there are quality discussions going on, then there's nothing to worry about!
Old 07-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Rookie Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-yoshi View Post
I am more concerned with this issue than any of the rules on Ragol.co.uk... as long as there are quality discussions going on, then there's nothing to worry about!
Yes, you have a good forum going on here. Only issue I have is that people are making such a big deal about this "old post" thing that supposedly is a rule. If it is a rule then, okay, cool. But really, if someone wants to restart a conversation for good reason... I say go for it.