Ragol.co.uk Forums  

Go Back   Ragol.co.uk Forums > Community > Help!

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Virtuoso

Send a message via AIM to NetNomad
Keyboard Questions

For those of you who have used keyboards to chat on PSO, I was hoping you could answer these questions. I've decided that, if I ever get online, I will be needing a keyboard. So today I go to eBay to check the prices on them. Only one of the listings I got was an actual keyboard... it was this white "controller/keyboard" thing that, supposodly, is specifically for PSO. But it was far to expensive for my tastes, so I moved on to the others. The others were offers for "adapters," which would supposodly allow you to connect any standard keyboard to a controller port. It also seems to be able to adapt to PS/PS2 controllers, which is slightly confusing...

My main question is, will PSO accept an input like this in a controller port that isn't Player 1's? Could I have the controller in port 1, and the keyboard in port 2 and be able to use them both? I can't imagine having to unplug the controller to use a keyboard... it'd be easier just to use the software keyboard. Or is the big, white "contoller/keyboard" combo item the only type you can use in PSO?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Administrator

To use a keyboard while playing PSO, the keyboard is plugged into either Port 2, 3, or 4 depending on which ports your not using (You may be using port 4 for the Snapshot feature at the sametime, for example). That applies, unless your using the Gamecube ASCII Keyboard Controller (Like a normal Gamecube controller, but extra extra long with a keyboard stuck in the middle of it!) I take it from your post that thats what you were refering to pictured below.

If you wish to buy the standard Gamecube Keyboard which most people who have keyboards probabily use, you'll be buying the Datel Powerboard, from either an online retailer, or Datel themselves at www.codejunkies.com (EU Site, i think) for about 16 - 20ish max.

However, you could just use/buy an ordinary PC keyboard, and buy an adapter which you connect the keyboard into and then plug that into your GC port (Which is what the Datel Keyboard does anyways!).

The choice really is yours!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Virtuoso

Send a message via AIM to NetNomad
Yes, that's the large keyboard I mentioned... but I didn't want to hotlink it, and I wasn't going to bother uploading its picture to my image hosting place.

Okay, so it can be used in the 2nd port? Great... that's all I needed to know, thanks.

...now if only I can get the other lazy members of this house to get this network setup going... that's really the big thing keeping me from buying a broadband adapter, as I currently have no use for one...
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Administrator

No Probs, glad to help! Trust me, if you do decide to play PSO online, youll definately want a Keyboard by your side!

If you dont mind, ill also sticky this thread because it sums up a lot of Keyboard related questions in one go, and we do get a lot of questions relating to the samething you've asked!

Anymore Keyboard Questions, stick them here ^_^
Old 13-02-2005, 02:10 AM
ZEEKY BOOGY DOOG

Send a message via AIM to whiteninja
what is it that i've heard about using the ASCII keyboard to avoid FSOD because you can use the JP language setting?
Old 26-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Master Hunter

NiGHTS.

I'm afraid this is non longer the case, and even JP are prone to FSOD now, also, I agree that ASCII/SAMMY is better than Power-Board, as a lot of friends of mine who have it say the buttons stick and it feels cheap and tacky, also, with the ASCII/SAMMY, I find it easier to use, they cost about 3x as much, but it is a better investment.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Parasite Send a message via Yahoo to Parasite
i would like to make a small point on this subject

you are not limited to using a PS/2 connection keyboard for your gamecube:
The Datel powerboard come supplied with a GCN to PS/2(6 pin DIN) adapter, on top of that you may plug a PS/2 to USB adapter(supplied with most PC keyboards) and use ANY USb keyboard with you gamecube, i'm currently using a Packard bell micro illuminated keyboard

recently i atempted to Plug a Cordless Keyboard into the adapter, but due to power problems the connection failed at the character select screen
Old 06-03-2005, 01:26 AM
Master Hunter

Bill Gates's Curse.

Or, you could do the decent thing and buy a SAMMY/ASCII which is a dream compared to that tack.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Staff Member

Scott you are so right, support Ninty, not the Hackers! ASCII is a much more solid and better quality item, it really, really is. I have tried both, the ASCII is worth the extra cash, i have dropped mine about 17 times from various heights! not even a rattle
Old 07-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Master Hunter

Evenescense.

You drop it deliberatly?
Closed Thread