Ragol.co.uk Forums  

Go Back   Ragol.co.uk Forums > Banter > Music, Films, TV & Anime

Old 29-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Staff Member

Underground Musical Groups

Quick question, plain and simple: What's your favorite Underground band? If you are unfamiliar with the concept of 'underground' bands, they are more or less bands which are less known and less popular than some others, such as Green Day.

My favorite Underground band is Armor for Sleep. If you have not yet heard any of their songs, I urge you to check 'em out.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:07 AM
Apprentice

I dunno how you really define an "underground" band. What is underground and what is not is a very local concept. For instance, a local band, Eating Orange Juice, is very popular in my town, but unheard of elsewhere. Although this is mostlly because they haven't gotten signed yet.

That out of the way, my favorite underground band is Dredge.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Staff Member

Well I see what you mean I think. A "real" underground band is a band that has been recognized as an "actual" band. For instance, a hometown band that some of your pals created is not an Underground band, simply because they haven't become big yet. An Underground band is a band that is big, just not acclaimed and as popular as larger ones.

Any band can become an Underground band. I believe Underground bands play clubs often and things like that in order to grow in popularity and receive national, etc. attention.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Apprentice

Actually, most bands never make it to the "underground" phase, as you call it. Many bands simply quit or disband because of conflicting personalities, styles, and more commonly, scheduels. Only as select group of musicians will ever be signed, and these are obviously the ones who have the drive to become professional musicians.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Master Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Arrogantelf
Sonic youth all the way.Awesome band.

ROGUE lv200 Huney, L'il maia lv157 Racl,Rogue v2 huney lv42,
DAN smith5 Hucast for cmode.
Old 27-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Rookie Amateur

Yeah, I definitally wouldn't call Green Day an underground band at all. They were HUGELY popular back in about 93/94. And I guess they are all of a sudden really popular again within this past year...weird that they went away for like 10 years and all of a sudden they are huge again ^-^; lol.

I guess my favorite underground band would have to be either Eagles of Death Metal or Turbonegro. They are both friends/spinoff bands of Queens of the Stone Age, which are also an amazing band, and not too mainstream. They have had a video or two on MTV if I'm not mistaken, but EODM and Turbo are pretty unknown except for the extreme fans.
Old 27-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Knight

Hmm... I like Hell Within. Not sure if they're underground. I also like The Absence
Old 27-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Apprentice

Heh. Good point, Scott. I know of a lot of profesional bassist who's talents I could probably top. These are the guys who play simple chord progressions, and even then nothing too origional.
You've gotta admire some of the punk bands like Rancid who have stayed together for so long, though.
And another great underground band that, ironicaly, everyone's heard of but no one listens too: The Von Bondies. Their song: C'mon, C'mon is the intro song for Rescue Me (didn't know this when I bought Pawn Shope Heart), but no one actually listens to them! Weird, huh?
Old 30-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Apprentice

Heh. So serious...
If you wanna go into a bit about "roots", I could say that because my roots are in the blues, I could be a penniless bluesman for the rest of my life, and I wouldn't care because at least I would be doing something that I cherish and love. I wouldn't be lying, either.
If you veiw success as being the next big thing, that's great, but for musicians like me, the only thing we care about is doing what we love.
If you're the same kind of guy, I really admire that, and I'll have to say that there aren't enough people who live by the same philosophy.
If you're not, that's okay, too. Whatever floats your boat.
I'm just saying that I think that the reason I personally don't like a lot of these mainstream bands is the fact that they have worked their ass off for what they are, and that because they've become so concerned with where the next paycheck is coming from, they've forgotten how to just be who you are and how to express yourself and not what other people want to hear.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Apprentice

Heh. Well, financially speaking, I've had to claw my way up from nothing.
It's not like I come from poverty or anything, it's just that I've never been able to pursue an artistic intrest until now. I've never had money for anything. My parent's are brain-fried ex-potheads and won't even drive my bandmates over for practice. ^.^
So, you see, one view of "tough living" may be different from another's.
From my view, I've had an easy life. The blues come from my psycho ex-girlfriends, and little else. But you say you've had a hard life, and though that may be true from your point of view, it's not so much from mine.
In fact, I think you just may have lost some of your legitimacy as a musician in my eyes, because of that.
I mean, I don't think its not great that you''ve been able to live a life of privilage, but... I dunno, I just don't like "trained" musicians, especially when they play rock, blues, jazz, or just about anything else than classical.
It's like hypocracy to me, no offense.
But from my view, its like: if all the greats of the 1900's didn't need profesional musical training, why should we? I think a truly great musician is one who's srachet his way up to the top, no comprimises, just like the rock-and-roll gods of yesteryear.

Anyway... Another underground band I really like is Kings of Leon.