Ragol.co.uk Forums  

Go Back   Ragol.co.uk Forums > Games > Console Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Nintendo DS

Since many threads are being started, i may aswell make a whole new thread about the upcoming handheld which seems to be an incredibly popular product when launched in Japan and the US by the end of this year, with PAL releases (Europe & Australia) early next year (EDIT: March 11th release in Europe).

E3 has it, that these are the facts:

• Compatability with GBA Software: The handheld will have 2 slots. One for GBA Cartridges, another for the DS 'Cards'.
  • At least one of the screens will be Touch Sensitive
  • Wireless LAN Connectivity, with the possibility of upto 16 Players connected at once using something known as 802.11, and can be done upto 100 Feet away.
  • Online connection via. Wi-Fi. No wires, but world-wide play!
  • Also the insides are much more then what you would have seen in the Nintendo64.
  • Both screens can be developed for 2D and 3D gaming.
  • Voice Recognition! Thats right, certain games can complete activities on what you say, and only what you say, no-one else!

An example shown was a brand new Metroid game. Tapping the screen causes a shot to be fired, amoung many other neat features! And also when released, it won't be named the Nintendo DS. Shame, i was getting used to that!

There are other 'Rumourable' facts that can be found in this previously posted thread: 'Nintendo DS'

Other facts include the first announced DS game featuring various classic board and card games, and a Press Release made by Nintendo that include various publishers who are amoung few who have said they will support the DS to it's max!

Also today (Pre-E3) USAToday claims to have the exclusive on the DS, with word from Miyamoto himself! The image above is from USAToday, but they do say it's "Right on the money"!

Use this thread to discuss what you think of the Nintendo DS. There is also a thread available for Sony PSP discussions. This is in the Handhelds section of these forums.

[EDIT][UPDATE] More new facts about the Nintendo DS from this years Games Developers Conference:
  • Nintendo will soon be starting a world-wide play service (Online DS Connectivity).

For more info on the GDC announcement - click here!
Old 13-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Rookie Amateur

Send a message via MSN to Bojangle
What Is The Nintendo DS?

Nintendo's latest innovation, code-named Nintendo DS, provides users with a unique game-play experience using features never before offered by any other home console or hand-held game system. This portable personal entertainment and communications unit provides owners with new perspectives on dual screens, new control using both touch and voice, and new connections with two kinds of wireless game play. It's a newfound canvas on which developers can express their creativity.

Dual Screens: Two LCD screens offer one of the most groundbreaking game-play advances ever developed: experiencing a game from two perspectives at once. Imagine the possibilities. In a racing game, drivers might see their own vehicle's perspective on one screen and an overall track view on the other. In a role-playing game, the action could take place on the first screen while the second provides a reference for a player's tools inventory. Game play also could use both screens at once, offering a giant boss for heroes to defeat. In the future, games could be created allowing users to play games on one screen while text messaging other DS users on the other. Each 3-inch screen can reproduce a true 3-D view and is backlit to assure comfortable play in any lighting condition.

Touch Screen: The lower screen will offer something never before provided by any game device: PDA-like touch capabilities. Players no longer have to rely on just buttons to move characters or shift perspectives. They can navigate menus or access inventory items simply by touching the screen with stylus or fingertip. A software-based keyboard might even allow the screen to be used as an input center for games and messaging. The possibilities are limited only by developers' imaginations. The screen will have a tougher film cover for durability, and will come with a stylus.

Microphone: An available microphone port means that in the future, players might need only to tell their games what to do. DS software could identify everything from voice commands to hand-clapping. Players might be able to move their characters simply by telling them which way to go. The voice capabilities also could allow gamers to chat with one another over the Internet while playing.

Wireless: DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players. Nintendo's guaranteed range is 30 feet, but will extend far beyond that depending on circumstances. It assures high response rates required for real time game play, and will make use of both IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption. Players will be able to chat and play games without any connecting cords, completely untethered. The DS technology also provides for a wireless LAN connection, which could allow a theoretically infinite number of players to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

Wireless Game Sharing: If software developers desire, multiple players can compete in wireless games, even if only one person has a game card inserted. Players could also test-play games for themselves as long as they stayed connected.

3-D: With the newly developed graphics engine, DS can reproduce impressive 3-D renderings that can surpass images displayed on the Nintendo® 64. Games will run at 60 frames per second, and allow details like fog effects and cel shading.

Sound: The 16-channel sound allows for greatly expanded use of voices and music, and a richer, more immersive game experience. A plug for headphones transmits stereo sound.

Battery & Power Management: The battery is rechargeable and the unit features a low-energy-consumption design. The DS also has Power Management functions of Sleep mode and Standby mode. In Sleep mode, players can stop and resume game play whenever they like. If the user receives a message from a friend or user nearby, DS activates itself from Standby mode.

Processing: The unit will run on two processors, one ARM9 one ARM7.

New Media: For its compact cards, the unit uses newly developed semiconductor memory, which allows for lower cost, shorter manufacturing time and memory capacity of more than one gigabit of information.

Dual Slots: Nintendo DS makes a vast library of Game Boy® Advance games readily available. Developers could find ways to make new connections between GBA games and DS games. The GBA port could be used for new hardware, enormously expanding the functional expandability of the DS.

What Developers Think Of The Nintendo DS

The code name of the new portable Nintendo DS refers not only to its dual screens, but also to the fact that it’s a true developers’ system. When Nintendo made the rounds to the world’s biggest developers to showcase the potential of Nintendo DS, eyes lit up and smiles broke out. One group of engineers was even said to drool a little. Better than anyone, developers know that Nintendo DS represents a true shift in the portable experience. They don’t see just two screens and a list of features – they imagine what those features can do to make game play more exciting, more personal and more social. But let’s let them speak for themselves:

“When Nintendo came down and presented the DS platform to us, … I think everyone was in shock. It was amazing. … Our technical and central technology guys were kind of drooling at the abilities and wanting so much to program and dive into programming for the system. … Nintendo DS, I believe, is a revolution in change for hand-held gaming.”
– Will Kassoy, vice president, global brand management, Activision

“I believe that Square Enix has a promising chance in the platform, since Nintendo DS allows users to experience whole new game play with both its input system and its output system.”
– Yoichi Wada, president and representative director, Square Enix

“The Nintendo dual screen is something that we’re really excited about developing for. It’s very innovative, which is classic Nintendo.”
– Nick Earl, vice president and general manager, Electronic Arts

“The fact that touch panels can be associated with many terms about touching that we never had, such as touch, push, feel, rub, slide and pat is wonderful. … I have been working in this industry for 20 years. During that time I made many games. But I think this is the first time that we have a new input device.”
– Yuji Naka, senior corporate officer, development division, Sega

“Once again Nintendo is taking another leap in the gaming experience for the gamer by providing totally new game-play experiences, developing new gaming habits. Very characteristic of a Nintendo maneuver.”
– Jay Cohen, vice president, publishing, Ubisoft

– more –

Nintendo DS is “a new game machine that will build the future of the game industry. … Our frontier spirit has been awoken.”
– Tsunekazu Ishihara, chairman and CEO, Pokémon

“This has a huge potential. … It is very nice that we can create games using DS that were not even possible before.”
– Yoichi Haraguchi, vice president and executive officer, Namco

“Nintendo has a reputation for doing extraordinary things in the hand-held space. The DS is an extraordinary device, and we are going to do everything in our power to support it.”
– Michael Pole, executive vice president, worldwide studios, Vivendi Universal Games

“Nintendo DS is going to push the hand-held technology to really uncharted territories. By that I mean that it’s going to bring amazing new game mechanics, new game design.”
– Yves Blehaut, senior vice president, Atari

“I think the DS will stimulate the process of game development.”
– Tomofumi Gotsubo, president and CEO, Konami of America

“DS is deceptively amazing. … Touch screen is a very blank canvas for a game designer to be able to design their own input features. … DS really could be a killer to PSP. … I really think the Nintendo DS could kick the crap out of Sony PSP.”
– Kevin Ray, chief technology officer, Majesco

“The wireless capability potentially allows game players to connect wirelessly literally around the world.”
– Brian Farrell, president and CEO, THQ

“I am sure people have nice memory of yelling at a controller. Now, we have a more established function of inputting our voice. … Nintendo always pleasantly surprises us with interesting projects and interesting ideas.”
– Keiji Inafune, producer, Capcom

Currently Announced 1st Party Titles

Animal Crossing DS
Mario Kart DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters
NEW Super Mario Bros.
PictoChat DS
Super Mario 64X4
WarioWare Inc. DS

Currently Announced 3rd Party Titles

Activision: Spiderman 2
Atari: Project TBA
Bandai: One Piece, other games TBA
Banpresto: Dragon Ball Z
Capcom: Megaman Battle Network, Viewtiful Joe DS, Gyakuten Saiban
Electronic Arts: Need for Speed
From Software Project TBA
Hudson: Bomberman, other projects TBA
Koei: Dynasty Warriors
Konami: Frogger 2005, Yu-Gi-Oh: Nightmare Troubadour
Majesco: Project TBA
Namco: Mr. Driller, TBA RPG
Sega: Project Rub, Sonic DS
Square Enix: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Egg Monster Hero, Dragon Quest Monsters
Tecmo: Monster Rancher
THQ: Spongebob Squarepants
Ubisoft: Rayman
Vivendi: Project TBA

Anybody who wants more info on any of the games or the system itself, simply say so and I'll post it.

Next Level Entertainment!
For all your import gaming needs!

Main PSO Ep I+II Character:
Perdition Lv 111 RAmar

Last New Rare Found - Chain Sawd

Main PSO Ep III Character:
Virulent CLv 1 HUcaseal
Old 13-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Nice one Bojangle, that saves me a job of posting!

GOLDIE has also put up a few screenies of a couple of the Nintendo DS Games that were smiliarly announced. Its on the frontpage of this website!

Nintendo Offical Magazine were allowed backstage to get a hands-on of every game Nintendo had to offer! I suggest you might wanna check out their DS E3 coverage for more info on almost any DS game! If it's screenies you love (For all you with broadband!), they've also uploaded a few for each game in album form! Also E3 footage of all the games have been added to GameTrailers.com. Direct links below!

Wario Ware Inc.
CLICK HERE!
Footage Click to download: .mov (Quicktime) .wmv (Windows Media Player)

Pictochat!
CLICK HERE!

Super Mario 64 (x 4)
CLICK HERE!

New Super Mario Bros.
CLICK HERE!

Mario Kart DS
CLICK HERE!

Animal Crossing
CLICK HERE!

Metroid Prime: Hunters
CLICK HERE!

Also, SEGA have plans to release 2 games 'Sonic DS' and 'Project Rub' which will make use of the touch screen system. Sounds cool! The one shown at E3 was Sonic in a Track & Field style game, where you had to rub the screen as fast as possible to make Sonic run faster! But which game is that? lol

[EDIT] Some more news!

Nintendo have announced that the Nintendo DS will also make use of the same system the GBA uses when it comes to 'Games Sharing'. I.e. where on some GBA games, you only need one cartridge to play a game across several GBA's for the multiplayer! Excellent news!

However, along with the good, the bad always follows!

Nintendo have said that the supply for LCD screens is HUGE! Nintendo are workly closely with Sharp (Who'll obviously be producing them), and suspect that during production, there could be a sudden supply halt because demand is so big! LCD's today are needed for everything. Mobile Phones, PDA's, andnow the Nintendo DS, and Sony PSP. Its just to much fro them to handle! Satoru Iwata himself said:

"Ordinarily, if we said to a supplier that we plan to make a product with two screens, they would be happy, but this time they said, 'two screens, that's a bit of a challenge. Of course we have no intention of taking a huge loss in the beginning, but I'm not sure if we can efficiently boost profit from the start like we did with the Game Boy Advance, but this is something I think we can repair with time."

Could this mean a sudden boost in the price?

Analysts are predicting the price of the Nintendo DS to be $150 (€126, £84), which is actually not flipping bad considering the GBA's price! However, a more suitable price will no doubtedly be given by Ninty closer to the time.

Last edited by Lee-yoshi; 13-05-2004 at 01:47 PM.
Old 16-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Expert Hunter

Great news really,u got me drooling

Mario 64x4 seems to be a multiplayer Mario 64 with better graphics..
*Drools again

Ow ow,my keyboard is all sticky..

EDIT:Took a look at the videos of Mario 64x4 and Mario Bros..
This looks amazing!!,too bad I'm going to have to wait possibly even more than a year..

I hadn't felt so anssious since they announced N64 back there in 1997

EDIT:These could be fake,but I think their real:

Mario kart pictures:http://portagame.com/nintendo_ds.php

Blue Burst Characters
Thesord HUcast lv. 152 Redria

Last edited by Thesord; 16-05-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 16-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Rookie Amateur

Send a message via Yahoo to Astaroth
metroid prime saya it all for me
Old 16-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Rookie Amateur

Metroid Prime: Hunters is probably my highlight for the DS as well. That and Animal Crossing. The prospect of playing Animal Crossing and Metroid via the net is amazing. I can't wait, my DS is already on order from Japan!

Oh, and those Mario Kart pics are real!!

Perdition Lv 111 RAmar

Virulent CLv 1 HUcaseal
Old 17-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Petition for the Nintendo DS to get a Christmas 2004 Release (In Europe)!

I've heard of these online petitions thingys before and only ever signed one once, but now the PAL gamers have decided Ninty have gone to far with all us European and Australian gamers who have to put up with second best and wait ages after games software and hardwares initial release until it's released in PAL form. The Nintendo DS is just another example of how we have to wait until Late Spring 2005 while America and Japan enjoy rubbing it our faces from before christmas.

A petition has been set up online quoting the following which will also be sent to Nintendo of Europe most probabily soon!

"Dear Nintendo of Europe,

We are all positively shocked, and full of joy, after seeing the Nintendo DS for the first time. It is even greater to see it action than to hear about its many functions. At the Electronic Entertainment Expedition, it was announced to arrive in Japan and the USA this year, and in Europe and Australia in 2005. We all believe it will be better for all the fans waiting restlessly, and for Nintendo, to release the Nintendo Dual Screen for Christmas 2004. It should double sales if released at Christmas, and we would be much happier getting it as soon as possible. We all can’t wait for it, and I hope you consider our petition seriously."

It's polite, but hopefully all the signatures get the message through. Over 400 already, and wasn't set up long ago!!!

Go sign, maybe they'll listen, it can't hurt!

Last edited by Lee-yoshi; 18-05-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old 18-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Star Raider

Send a message via AIM to Sheik Send a message via MSN to Sheik Send a message via Yahoo to Sheik
I think it always takes longer because the time it takes to change the formats over to PAL. I never have to worry about that (living in the US) but I think that's what it is.

---
Lineage II (levels as of July 25, 2006):
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
npSheik - Shilien Elder - lvl 62
Sheikai - Spellhowler - lvl 44
Vamp1ress - Palus Knight - lvl 33
TrixyMcGee - Dwarven Fighter - lvl 11
Old 18-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Nope, all handhelds have always been multi-region so theres no region en-coding in any of the games. Thats why theres never really a fuss in the time it takes GBA games to go between countries. The Nintendo DS would probabily be the same in which case they've absolutely nothing to change!
Old 18-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Rookie Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-yoshi
Nope, all handhelds have always been multi-region so theres no region en-coding in any of the games. Thats why theres never really a fuss in the time it takes GBA games to go between countries. The Nintendo DS would probabily be the same in which case they've absolutely nothing to change!
Yes they have. They have to change the language in the games. Upon the American release they only need to translate the game into English. However, when a games released in the PAL regions it needs to be translated to French, German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian etc. So as you can imagine it's quite a time consuming task.

Also, nobody knows for sure if the DS is going to be region free. I'd guess it is due to the fact it plays GBA games, which are region free.

Perdition Lv 111 RAmar

Virulent CLv 1 HUcaseal