Ragol.co.uk Forums  

Go Back   Ragol.co.uk Forums > Phantasy Star > Phantasy Star Online

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to K_I_R_E_E_K
PSO V2 High Res / Widescreen (demo)

The following exe files allow you to play PSO v2 (pc) in a higher resolution, this is a demo version so you can feel and see what is wrong and what is right, this is not definitive work and was made merely to demonstrate the concept.

This began a long time ago, but i never went very far, eventually i asked at eden on how to approach this, i gave the 1st step rather quickly, but i was unable to keep going and so i asked for help at a community that does this on a daily basis, i came across someone who doesn't seem to be a PSO player, but he knew more about widescreen than i ever imagined, in a short amount of time i saw the game in widescreen and in a higher res.

From the very basic demo, i took plenty of screenshots of pso v2 that exceed the quality in PSO BB, here's a comparison between the regular PSO v2 and one in 16:10 at 1680x1050

Exe info:
- I do not believe they have other patches other than window mode or no window mode, meaning this works like the default pso.exe
- No server ip (cannot connect online)
- No mouse support

Instructions:
Before proceeding, backup pso.exe located in
X:\xxxxxxxxxx\SEGA\PhantasyStarOnline

To play a higher resolution version of PSO v2, navigate the folders, 1st set of folders you decide which Operating System you have, 2nd set of folders will decide window mode or fullscreen.
Window mode even in an unsupported resolution may work, but i can't garantee that this will happen on all cases.
3rd set of folders decides aspect ratio and the final one will decide the resolution.
I know there are more aspect ratios and resolutions, but again, this is a demo, please use what is available

Once you reached the final folder you will find a single file named "pso.exe" simply drag and drop the file into the location of your pso.exe
X:\xxxxxxxxx\SEGA\PhantasyStarOnline

Known issues:
- Background images do not stretch/scale and are off-center
- User interface does not stretch/scale and is off-center
- Main menu in-game does not display black background (not really an issue)
- Area Map uses the entire screen
- Particles, techs, damage values do not scale and are off-center
- player arrow and map are zoomed in

Other info:
- If you plan on connecting online, please use ip patch and insert the ip, by default these exe files do not connect to any server (reason: being neutral)
- Patches are possible, maybe in the future when more alterations are in place, this way is simple but requires multiple exe files, the more the resolutions and the more the support, the higher the number of exe files required to satisfy the players.
- Yes, there is a version that is more advanced then the ones available here, particles scale and are centered, but only for 1 resolution, i do not know how to change that.....yet

Credits:
- SEGA for making the game
- jackfuste for the widescreen
- K_I_R_E_E_K for making several resolutions available

Special thanks:
- Tofuman for the hints before i contacted jackfuste
- Aurelli for testing Windows 7 compatibility

Old 22-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Administrator

That's some pretty nifty work! It's just a couple of you that's recreated the game? Crazy to think! Might have to give it a try :-)