Ragol.co.uk Forums  

Go Back   Ragol.co.uk Forums > Phantasy Star > Phantasy Star Online

Old 06-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Apprentice

If you could alter a character

What would you do?

Here's how I'd do it.
I'd take the Humars, removed the goofy shoulder pad, make the guy taller, and put some less.. metallic clothing on him. actual clothing of sort, maybe boots and a cool jacket or something. Then I'd give him a decent hair style. As it stands, the guy always looks like he just got outta bed save for the afro and mohawk. Not to mention the load it looks like he has caught in his britches. You know what I mean by "load" right? Linkin' Logs.

Then I'd definitely be keen being a hunter.

As for the Ramar, I'd kind of.. nixx the.. Buzz Lightyear effect altogether. I mean come on. Instead, I'd toss some camoflauge type stuff on him too, make him look more like a human than an astronaut. Maybe give'im the option of wearing fancy eyewear.

And finally the Fomar. He's my favorite character, and they did do decent on him. but instead of an all-out dress, it coulda been like.. Nice fancy robes around more male-ish clothing. Pants and an undershirt that match, sort of going for a medieval look. I'd say he's the only human character that I don't look at and think "What the piss?" I mean.. wizards can wear dresses, so I won't bash the Fomar.

They coulda done better with the Fomarl, mostly animation-wise. Maybe made her a bit a less prissy, since a lotta chicks wanna be a Fomarl so they can use weapons as well as grants and megid.

I'd leave Hucaseal and Hunewearls alone, they did really good on those two. I might do some tweaks on a Ramarl and Racaseal, but they were definitely better than many of the males done in the game.
Racast and Hucast were decent, but I'd do some massive tweakage to the options. Who wants a robot with a satellite dish or dorsal fin for a head? What the piss?
Old 06-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MegamanX
Give HUmar a cloak with better hair styles.
Give HUnewearl some more clothes >_> (not styles... as much as clothes!...)
Give HUcast some spiffy shoulder-blades and some other Head styles.
Give HUcaseal some more Head styles as well.

Remove RAmar's humongoid backpack (he's not an android yet it looks like he runs on a Duracel battery pack >_> )
RAmarl could use some better face styles (that sounds weird... but that's what it is)
RAcast requires some better Head styles... big time
RAcaseal could use some better head styles as well...

FOmar.... eh, he's ok I guess
FOmarl... probably some better dress colors
FOnewm, teh FOnewm is pErFeCt XD
FOnewearl has mad dressing skillz, she's good too.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Legendary Champion

Send a message via MSN to jarl
give the hunewearl something more to wear.. not everyone wants a whore as their character

get rid of RAcasts boobies (im not joking)
RAmar- what with the jetpack? get rid of that.
HUcsat- make him look at bit more HURR!! y. i mean, most powerful class in the game and he looks like a model. give him some proper bulk, like the RAcast. make some pistons showing, stufflike that.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarl
HUcsat- make him look at bit more HURR!! y. i mean, most powerful class in the game and he looks like a model. give him some proper bulk, like the RAcast. make some pistons showing, stufflike that.
agreed except for what i quoted. i guess it's a matter of preference, but in my mind there is a difference between and android and a robot. a hucast resembles an android, whereas the racast looks more like a machine. gnome sayin?

although i definitely wouldn't be disappointed with a "HRR" hucast. not at all. but when i got this game, all i could do was laugh when i saw the humar and ramar. one is the hunchback of notre dame with a single shoulder pad and crap in his shorts, the other is the buzz light year of notre dame with leotards. i mean, although i'm into graphic design and tend to assess things to no end, anyone can agree that whomever was responsible for the design of those characters could not have been older than the ripe age of 5.
common sense will tell you that.. that's just plain chinzy and could have been finger painted better.

ha. but anyway, the game is cool in sufficient other rites that i won't say it's no good. however, girls get quite a few better options if you ask me. even though an android has no use for boobs. ie hucaseal racaseal. i guess they just wouldn't be women without'em.

for grins, i think i'm gonna do up some designs that i would've liked to see in this game. even though psu will likely make up for pso's slackful character design, this would still be fun.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:12 PM
ZEEKY BOOGY DOOG

Send a message via AIM to whiteninja
The way a Hucast and Racast look should be switched. The Hucast ought to be the big guy... it'd make more sense.

A little something more decent on the Huney, please?

Stop making the Ramar look like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

Shrink the blimp butt on the Fonewm, and get rid of the platform shoes.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Apprentice

looks like i'm not the only one that was a smidge frustrated when trying to pick a cool character. and i agree on switching the hucast and racast. definitely.

i mean, honestly, even with a dress i find that the fomar is more menacing than the humar and ramar. it's like david bowie is scary by comparison to danny devito and napoleon dynamite.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Virtuoso

i agree with jarl- its so hard to find the perfect outfit for your HUnewearl when they aren't wearing anything in the first place!
I also think it should be possible to do something like....for example, the FOmar has a long hair and hat, and he also has a jingly bell hat and short hair. it would be awesome if you could cross-dress the hairstyles, and make long hair with a jingly bell hat! all classes could definitely benefit from this!

^I like my PSO characters ^and my egg (may he rest in peace) ^and my PSU characters! ^ Organization 13 :p
Axel: "Now that all of your cards are gone, I will eat yoooou!" Larxene: "Sorry Axel-you couldn't eat your way out of...air!"
Old 07-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Apprentice

I know it wasn't a conducive option at the time (too much programming for what they thought it worth), but I know that now they could do this:

Color everything. Let's use the Fomar for example. Now, you choose the mesh (game dev. terminology for the invisible model that is later skinned) that you want for the hair, face, and costume. Then you could select different aspects of that person, eyes, hair, trim of robe, body of the robe, chest plate, collar, and for each one you could color it like you did the hair. Via turning up and down the reds, greens, and blues.
I'd bet money that we'll see something similar in PSU though.

That would be cool. That way you don't end up stuck with the option of a robe that is either blue and yellow or purple and green. That just plain sucks.
Now, something I'm wondering is.. do they have mod capacity for PSO for PC? Often times, PC games have a utility of one kind or another out there allows for end users to become "modders". That's probably elementary to some of you.
I used to mod a game called "Deus Ex", and I was a skinner and mapper. If I could do that sorta thing for PSO, oh man I'd have a good time.

Keep in mind that by "mod" I mean that it would be an add-on to the game, and would not interfere with regular players of the original game as cheating does.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MegamanX
I like how RAcast is the big guy and HUcast the smaller one. =/ I guess it looks neat to me how someone smaller can overpower someone so large. I like to see the litte guy take down the giant... (though myself in real life.... i'm 6'7"... <_< )
Old 07-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Staff Member

Send a message via AIM to Hrith Send a message via MSN to Hrith
Make the RAcaseal "Ribbon" removable at will (I find it ugly, and only 2 outfits do not have the ribbon, one I use, the other has ghastly colouring).

Give the androids more heads.

Make hats (berets, whatever) and sunglasses options, too.

Remove HUmar and RAmar... altogether >_>