Ragol.co.uk Forums  

Go Back   Ragol.co.uk Forums > Games > Console Games

Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Apprentice

PS3 games I do find promising...

Well I finally found around here a store that let me rent PS3 games yay : D
Trying a lot of games, looks like the PS3 has become of what like the nintendo consoles are. Very few promising games but got games that can remark as epic and compete against another titles.

I will keep trying some games, when I find it promising I will post it around here.

ATM I rented 20 games where around 7 I find promising.

My first rent was Metal Gear Solid 4. Well I can give it a VERY PROMISING title mark. Althou I just rant that in any of these games snake can't run or sprint. The game actually gets really fun when it comes about you and your enemies, the AI is a bit good making it a good challenge. Having such gameplay completely different from routinary action games and so much featured enemies that gives you another kind of challenge in this game, also featuring the wide arsenal of weapons you can purchase and the coolish boss fights I can also count that the long cinematics cant count as a bad point, the storyline is good and prolly It's the best english voice acting I ever heard and prolly one of the best dramatic scenes that lies almost at the end of the game where you cross a microwave tunnel. If you get this title, I strictly recommend playing it in Big Boss difficulty in your first try for best challenge possible, otherwise you will get easily dissapointed with the difficulty. Not mentioning how the graphics are coolish since that's what all reviewers talk about.

Second promising game I found was Burnout Paradise. Surprisingly good graphics althou suddenly expecting you some discomfort in the startings of the game (Drivers dont exist inside the cars lols). Im not really fan of racing games so i found pretty fun the arcade physics and the unrealistic rules, just gas, boost, jump, dodge, brake and drift and mostly crush the others. Pretty fun for arcade gamers, cars got really a good variety of desings and gentle color choosing, sadly the patterns cannot be customized. Also features with an amazing weather engine, where you can play in any random condition, such as day, night, rainy and foggy days in a pretty amazing graphical view. The city is full of expected and unexpected awesome roads which you can either take as shortcuts or exploration, the fact of watching your car crashing, the glasses shattering and your car very detalledly becoming a pile of wreck when you crash is priceless. Dont be shy and join the online freeburn mode as well, where you might expect really amazing updates, challenges, minigames and competitions, guaranteeing one of the nicest multiplayers racing games. I'm a hard rock loving girl so the OST is pretty nice by using the licensed music of guns and roses and other hard rock and hardcore bands. And the relaxing tunes of classical music when you are resting or idling around without pausing the game.

I'll be posting more in the future, you can also leave your suggestions as well.

Last edited by REIA; 02-02-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Master Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Link777
Valkyria Chronicles.

Completely sh*ts all over EVERY other PS3 game apart from MGS4.

I wish I'd have chosen a more unique name when I joined this site... Bah, I was 12. Sue me.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:34 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link777 View Post
Valkyria Chronicles.

Completely sh*ts all over EVERY other PS3 game apart from MGS4.
LOL that was one game that I was going to add in my next post.

Senjou no Valkyria - Gallian chronicles (Is the version I received, includes an artbook, the OST and an Edelweiss remote controlled toy for 90 bucks).

This game has really unique aspects that makes it way promising as the top scoring games, but game reviewers didnt score it more than 8 becuz of the graphics. These unique aspects are the universe and storyline, it fits in a fictional world in a world war II themed event. The story is based on a militia liutenant called Welkin Gunther who accepts the duty to join the military and fight to prevent a small nation called Gallia be swallowed by a might of two giant factions. Unlike usual strategy games, the storyline here is treated more like a novel (almost aiming a love story with his minor at charge, Sargeant Alicia Melchiot) instead of a documental narration like. Taking the responsibility of a 20 soldiers squad called Squad 7 you must venture into top risk operations to push away any threats in the nation of Gallia.
The Gameplay is turn based, 8 soldiers and tanks, the rules are unique, the strategies must be choosed wisely but aren't hard to plan. Your troops can be upgraded depending on your performance on the missions, the upgrades can make them have more combat features than the starting ones, for example adding additional weapons to them or changing the weapons type which is just handy in a strategy game guaranteeing wise use making your small squad defeat entire enemies armies.
Quality wise the game cannot be marked as a graphical game like Metal Gear or the others, this game starts off with an first made in time 100% watercolored anime enviroment, involving not only the graphics, but the special effects and character aspects. The storytelling of this game is RPG like, which involves a lot of character talking each other, unlike RPGs they count with 3D mugshots that can express any possible expression known in anime, making it more fun to watch unlike usual RPGs using a 3-10 expresion images set or simply having none. The japanese voice actors are pretty well known and good doing their roles if you are an anime loving person as well, making a good providing to the storytelling.
Difficulty wise, ENEMY FORCES OUTNUMBERS YOURS! don't go without a plan, the game indeed have coolish maps, that can render both difficulty and advantage, unique events and objectives gives a certain challenge factor that you didn't seen in usual strategy games. The game also counts with bosses that requires quite tactics to defeat them, not only knowing their weak point and exploiting, guaranteeing enough challenge for those difficulty lovers.

Last edited by REIA; 03-02-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Master Hunter

The battles aren't fully turn based though, as you get to move around freely and even aim and shoot, instead of the game automatically doing it for you.

Also, I would totally give the game marks based on it's graphics, as they're amazing. The whole thing is done like a moving watercolour painting, and it looks stunning. I actually prefer this style over realism.

I wish I'd have chosen a more unique name when I joined this site... Bah, I was 12. Sue me.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Knight

Send a message via AIM to pso king
is valkyria chronicles on xbox 360 too or nintendo wii? I don't have a PS3 just a PS1
Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Apprentice

I'm sorry but I just created this thread for promising PS3 games, all games shown in my recommendations are PS3 only.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Staff Member

Send a message via AIM to Beat X500 Send a message via MSN to Beat X500 Send a message via Skype™ to Beat X500
Played through most of Burnout Paradise on my 360 last year. Stunning game in every way IMO. Absolutely brilliant.

Eve Films
Community Forums!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Master Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REIA View Post
I'm sorry but I just created this thread for promising PS3 games, all games shown in my recommendations are PS3 only.
Burnout Paradise is multiplatform. 360 and PS3.

Old 18-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Virtuoso

Send a message via AIM to Cye Zero Send a message via MSN to Cye Zero
Street Fighter 4 looks promising to me. The visuals look amazing and the gameplay is just just like the classic street fighter.
Old 22-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Master Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cye Zero View Post
Street Fighter 4 looks promising to me. The visuals look amazing and the gameplay is just just like the classic street fighter.
It's amazing, seriously. Everybody needs to get it.