Ragol.co.uk Forums  

Go Back   Ragol.co.uk Forums > Phantasy Star > Phantasy Star Universe

Old 16-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Expert Hunter

Is this worth playing online?

Long time since I last posted here... Greetings to those that remember me :p

My topic's title says it. Is this game enjoyable online for the PC version? I'm considering PSOBB as a model. I had a lvl 160 or so HUcast and despite the fun I had, I quit BB because I got sick of Sega's useless PR, incapable security system, random server crashes/lag spikes and how EU/US players were neglected when compared to JP.

I've tried reading several different reviews and forums, but they either range from 3 to 9 (10 max) or I find completly opposite comments...

Would like some opinions on the PC version of PSU, I'm playing WoW atm but I'm looking for a change, and a PS- game would be my first choice because of the community here.

Blue Burst Characters
Thesord HUcast lv. 152 Redria

Last edited by Thesord; 16-03-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 16-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to K_I_R_E_E_K
playing online is mor fun then offline for sure, it is best to beat the zones or even to defeat the bosses.
since you need to have an internet connection to play both on and off, i would say online would be best, you would meet people, talk.......(basicly the same as pso)
the main problem (atleast for me) is the montly fee.......pay to play sucks

bem vindo de volta thesord
Old 16-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Master Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Namillus
Good lord, it's Thesord. (lol rhyme)

As my signature attests, I play the PS2 version, but since this version shares servers with the PC version, I can provide information about the current service.

PC/PS2 servers were hacked pretty early on, but hacked weapons have pretty much been cleared out of the system (Yes, ST actually did something!). The only lingering problem is hacked Meseta, resulting in excessive inflation in Player Shops, but with the amount of money sinks present (Photon Cubes, to name but one), and no way, as far as I know, to externally inject Meseta at the moment, the intra-player economy should stabilise soon enough.

As far as game updates go, they're happening pretty regularly. We've experienced a few droughts occasionally, but generally content is added weekly. We're not really that far behind the JP servers, since they're in the middle of the Netcash Cup event.

There was also a brief spate of server crashing, but that also seems to have vanished.

As far as lag goes, it's difficult to say. Since I play on the PS2 version, I experience slowdown, at least, where PC players might not, so you'd have to get testimony from such players.

Security... Was GameGuard used for BB? If so, it's back.
A keyboard is now mine. Fear my fast-typing skills. I play the PS2 version of PSU.
I live in the UK, meaning my timezone's GMT.
Old 16-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Expert Hunter

Indeed pay to play does suck...

I did have my share of offline (GC) and online (BB) so I know the differences though.

Ok that is one positive comment I guess, but what about gameplay? Not exactly sure but I heard that in order to get parts/gear, you had to wait some time to create photons or something, and that the result could very likely be something you didn't intend... How would you define the gameplay compared to BB?

Blue Burst Characters
Old 16-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Master Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Namillus
You refer to Synthesis, better known as Item Crafting. This is not required to play the game, but does allow you to create cheaper weapons, albeit with a chance of failing and receiving a nigh-useless item instead. Another advantage of Synthesis for Hunters and other types dependant upon melee weapons is the ability to create weapons with the element of your choice.

Essentially, while you explore missions, items resembling pyramids with a symbol at the point of the spire drop, as opposed to the saber-shapes of Weapons, the diamonds of Tools and Consumables, and the shield-shapes of Armour and Units. These are stored in the fifth page of your items menu. These items range from natural materials (Berries, Woods, Silica, Acids, and Biomaterials) to artificial (Metals, Ores, Photons, Gems, and Chips).

You can buy Synthesis Boards from Synthesis Shops for practically any item at the moment, but sometimes it can be more productive to buy the completed item from the primary manufacturer's store - for example, there is no real need to synthesise casting weapons or guns, since you cannot give these elements during synthesis, only through Photon Art linking, hence, rather than risk failing and spending additional money on more materials, you can obtain a completed version. Note, though, that synthesis boards are about half the price of the actual item, and in addition have multiple uses.

It is not required to synth to progress in the game, nor is it required to feed your Partner Machine. However, feeding the Machine gives you a better shot at synths, and eventually gives you the benefit of a decent battle partner.

Basically, you can buy anything you really need 'vanilla' from the maufacturers. But if you want your own personal touch on a weapon (A Lightning Calibur, for instance), synthing's the way to go.
A keyboard is now mine. Fear my fast-typing skills. I play the PS2 version of PSU.
I live in the UK, meaning my timezone's GMT.
Old 16-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Expert Hunter

I see, so PMs are basicaly interactive mags. Hmm this game is getting my attention, but will be hard leaving WoW and my guild.

One more thing, I did read that the races that you can create are Beasts, Humans and Newman, but what about Xcasts like in PSO?

Blue Burst Characters