PDA

View Full Version : Mr_shoe_uk's Dreamcast Diary!

mr_shoe_uk
06-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone,

As you may have read in another thread, I recently set up my Dreamcast again, so I can relive some good memories during the summer :)

I decided to make a sort of diary of what games I've been playing. Maybe some of you fellow Dreamcast owners can look back happily at some of the best Dreamcast games, possibly even being encouraged to dig out your own and have a revisit for yourselves! Those of you without Dreamcasts can also join in the discussions, and let's not forget that quite a few Dreamcast games have continued on other console (not least PSO!)

Finally, despite this being 'my' Dremcast diary, feel free to reply! I look forward to hearing your own views too!

So, with the introduction out of the way, let's begin:

Monday 4th July

This was the day I decided to get out the Dreamcast again! I set it up with the tv in my bedroom, taking the table space from a radio-alarm (no longer needed in the holidays). The first game to be played on it was Virtua Tennis, with my brother. Quite probably the best tennis game ever (though not forgetting it's sequel). Most likely inspired to play by Wimbledon, our character choices were similarly connected. My brother going with the old British hope Tim Henman (who unfortunately didn't get too far this year), me going with Thomas Johannson, who was knocked out by Andy Roddick in a very exciting match in the semi-finals! The game remains instantly rewarding yet easy to get into, a fine example of how arcade sports games should be. As an added bonus, I beat my brother 6-3 in a one set match :P

Wednesday 6th July

On this rather rainy day (in the middle of a fairly typical English summer, it seems) I decided to play a favourite of mine, and a real classic, Bangai-O. As soon as I got playing I was reminded of just how great the game is. It's just so unique, even among 2D shooters, and so charmingly barmy. The dialogue and story in general are as wonderfully bizarre as I remember, and the whole game, in visuals, audio and gameplay has such a simple charm to it. Unfortunately the experience was not wholly enjoyable though. Today my Dreamcast started getting the same old resetting problems owners dread, drawing my playing to an early close. Still, I hope it will return to normal working order shortly, and Bangai-O will receive a longer play.

A.S.
06-07-2005, 08:53 PM
If your DC does work properly again, I guarantee you will not beat the 19th (20th?) level of Bangai-O. Impossible.

Cye Zero
08-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I reasently hooked my Dreamcast up I started playing Sonic Adventure I love the music in that game. Everything was going good until I reached supersonic, in the very begining when Sonic was waking up I experience the dreaded BSoD (Black Screen of Death). That's when I shut the game off and start playing Crazy Taxi I wish I had part 2.

K_I_R_E_E_K
08-07-2005, 03:58 PM
i play pso on dreamcast and another game i like is the unreal tournament(kill them all) sometimes i play nester dc (emulator of nintendo for dc) finalfantasy3 is cool, now i dont play sonic adventure(i've deleted the game with a sonic chao and 129emblems) sometimes i play spider man of the playstation1 (bleemcast), i also play ecco defender of the future, quake 3 arena, resident evil 3, gta2, soul calibur, star lancer, exebition of speed, virtua atlete 2k, chuchu rocket(the disk is scratched) also i have a dc viewer.

A.S.
08-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Unreal Tournament, I swear that game is better then Halo 2.

~Buddah~
09-07-2005, 07:10 AM
i hooked up my dreamcast it didnt work so i set it a flame in my backyard man gas can get a fire started good! now i have to go buy one

Cye Zero
09-07-2005, 04:19 PM
good luck finding one dreamcast is practically extinct by now

K_I_R_E_E_K
09-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Unreal Tournament, I swear that game is better then Halo 2.

i think not but................it is a great game.

Sonic Saturn
26-07-2005, 09:46 AM
how dare you burn a DC I put a curseon you of EEEEEEVVVVVVIIIIILLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!
moving on, i have plenty of DC games, too bad my sounds broken which is a real shame, I started playing 18wheeler the other day, and it wasn't that much fun, without the sound there, it takes part fot the spirit out.. I WANNA NEW ONE!!!!!!!!!! its so annoying, I only just got a DC in the first place, the verynearlystopped production on the birthday that I got 1 on, and I sill can't find Ecco the dolphin!! i rented it, it was gd, I never got round to buying iyt, I see a copy, odon't have the cash, I come back not there, evil! I also got headhunter which ia grt game, too bad I can't get past the second boss, I swear there is a fault, I've looked up gides on the net sayign al the same thing, and it don't work, and its so grt!! I was so gd, and spinning around a cornere blasting pistol rounds into enemys heads, 1 down, duck i there, get out the shot gun, and another 1 bites the dust!
and 1 of the best games ever on the DC toy commander, it is so grt, me and my friends still play it, he he,
ust remebered, sangas sen the chao gardens on SC2 for the DC and the dark gardnes better on it than on battle! yay! and I got all A rank on white jungle, and rouges first mission, I have always wanted to play that green hill zone 3d version, it is my dream, and I really am hoping that 1 day I'll come accross someone who does.. *YOINK*!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faulkie
26-07-2005, 10:01 AM
My Dreamcast's sound broke too. :( It's annoying - is it a common problem?

I basically only had PSO and the 2 Sonic Adventure games for it, both of which I liked so much I bought on Gamecube. And I agree with Cye Zero - the music from SA is awesome! :D So is the music from SA2. Good old Sonic, eh? :P

I'd also like to see the 3D Green Hills, but sadly I lack the talent to unlock it. :(

Sonic Saturn
26-07-2005, 06:43 PM
same here, is italso on the DC version, becuse if it is, 1 day i will do it, I got really far (if you ask me) and trust me the last part where you have to play as lots of characters is bloody hard when your DC often froze in the loading screen, took me ages until I finally did it, all becuse of that damn freeze glitch, but I've done it now, and have knuckles's shades! yay! (I've had them for ages, don't worry)

K_I_R_E_E_K
01-08-2005, 02:36 PM
good luck finding one dreamcast is practically extinct by now

online shops

ecco the dolfin(i have one)

online shops

mr_shoe_uk
01-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Just thought I'd let you all know the resetting problem has got even worse, so the diary is on hold till I fix it!

Dark Imakuni
02-08-2005, 02:07 PM
My Dreamcast broke my PSO v1 disc... I put it in normally (as I always did) but when I turned on the DC there was a horrible wrenching sound. I immediatly turned it off and removed the disc, which had been scratched into oblivion. Irreplacable. Mangled. Done for.

PSO v2 was due out in a few months from then, so I suffered majorly from PSO withdrawal symptoms (couldn't use a different disc as the registration key etc was registered to the DC and new keys wouldn't work).

So I played SA2 and managed to unlock the 3D Green Hill stage :P

K_I_R_E_E_K
02-08-2005, 02:35 PM
My Dreamcast broke my PSO v1 disc... I put it in normally (as I always did) but when I turned on the DC there was a horrible wrenching sound. I immediatly turned it off and removed the disc, which had been scratched into oblivion. Irreplacable. Mangled. Done for.

PSO v2 was due out in a few months from then, so I suffered majorly from PSO withdrawal symptoms (couldn't use a different disc as the registration key etc was registered to the DC and new keys wouldn't work).

So I played SA2 and managed to unlock the 3D Green Hill stage :P

that sound sometimes hapen to me but i don't mind.
the reseting problem is poor electrical conection, when the dreamcast heats up there is a expansion of the circuit inside resulting in a reset at radom.
i've fix mine 2 times.

mr_shoe_uk
04-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I fixed mine once last year (just by pushing the little white bit back towards the case), but don't have time to do it again this year just yet.

masterofchaos
06-08-2005, 04:53 AM
hmmmm maybe ill buy a dreamcast at ebgames they seem like tons of fun always wanted one but never had enough money

Lee Xao Vue
07-08-2005, 10:04 AM
how much is a dreamcast nowdays ?? in us i meen

Sonic Saturn
07-08-2005, 05:45 PM
where ever it is, it won't be Vmuch, so don't worry, and gd luck to find 1, I should really get round to buying a new one soon, hehe, Sonic adventure on the widescreen, I'm looking forward to that....

K_I_R_E_E_K
08-08-2005, 02:44 PM
i must get a new controler
play soul calibur, race games, ut.....

and a vibration card so i can play pso with extreme sensations.

Jimbo1990
22-08-2005, 03:56 PM
borrowing my cusins dc playing sonic adventure

K_I_R_E_E_K
22-08-2005, 04:02 PM
way cool
playing pso with a vibration pack is very cool , i even like to take damage, the bosses are way cooler now.
don't play sonic adventure (erase by mistake the data of memory card (149 emblems))
every thing was lost , even a sonic chao.

Jimbo1990
22-08-2005, 05:11 PM
i'm just wandering station square and that ruins place but i found a silver egg what do i do with it?

K_I_R_E_E_K
22-08-2005, 05:44 PM
go to the chao garden (hotel elevator) and brake the shell , it will come up a silver chao, there is also the dark chao (egg carrier prison) and the gold (go to speed highway entrance, left garden , pick rock, go to near store and take the gold egg, then put the rock on the platform (if you pick the egg you will be stuck in the store)

Jimbo1990
22-08-2005, 07:28 PM
theres a chao garden in station square????:O

K_I_R_E_E_K
23-08-2005, 10:53 AM
there are 3 gardens
1-station square- hotel-elevator(the only one that you can make races)
2-mistic ruins- cave
3-egg carrier- put a password with the leters on the flor and you will be taken to a giant island
you can travel to one garden to another using teleport on the garden.
to see a dark chao (if you want to see one ) go to a quick race and one of the chaos will be a dark chao, beware, you canot win this dark chao, he will sleep for a wile then wakes up and win the race in seconds.

Jimbo1990
23-08-2005, 05:43 PM
thx for that i've only ever found the one in the ruins and on the Egg carrier

K_I_R_E_E_K
24-08-2005, 10:30 AM
don't like those gardens, when i'm trying to find a chao it is difficult and in station square garden it is easier, plus in the garden the chaos sometimes make pic of a character

Jimbo1990
25-08-2005, 12:23 PM
ARGH!!! My chao garden data keeps corrupting!! Argh!

K_I_R_E_E_K
25-08-2005, 02:02 PM
ARGH!!! My chao garden data keeps corrupting!! Argh!

how come?

Jimbo1990
25-08-2005, 03:41 PM
i'll star raising a chao then the game goes oh no! theres been an error! so i yell at it then the game resets itself NOOOOOOOOO!!!

K_I_R_E_E_K
25-08-2005, 03:51 PM
maybe when you put the chao on your memory card (VMU so you can raise) the vmu is full
1 vmu has the memory to suport several sa games , the chao garden data and the chao, but beware that when you are saving the chao, the game takes time and freezes for a while (190 blocks are no joke) (a game save file i +-10 blocks ---do you see the diference?)

Jimbo1990
25-08-2005, 04:07 PM
i don't know what memory card i have

K_I_R_E_E_K
26-08-2005, 10:47 AM
normal memory card----nothing special---big memory
vmu(visual memory unit)- screen with a pad , and some buttons, so you can see the chao stats and to manage the save files of the vmu without turning your dc on.
how can you raise the chao stats if you canot see the chao on your memory card!!!!!!????
to raise the chao stats feed him fruits (you gain while doing a mini game on your vmu)
http://www.planetdreamcast.com/hardware/vmu/vmu.jpg