PDA

View Full Version : Oldschool Phantasy Star

Kaze
11-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Anybody here played the older phantasy star games? The one for the sega master system, and the three for the genesis? Maybe even the two crappy game gear ones, but those were just annoying. Has anybody played the oldschool PS games, except me? Does anybody have ANY idea how the plots of those and the PSO series connect?

Teh EkwEE
11-04-2005, 07:27 PM
I know for a fact DarkMagician and I both love them......well I haven't play IV and I and III were annoying.......but I love II. I love in PSO the remix of the PS2's battle theme song on the Spaceship level........tis' a throwback...

Kaze
11-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Yeah, 2 was pretty chill. And 3 pissed me off a bit, too. Too dull. Couldn't bring myself to finish it. 4 is, hands down, the best in the series. It's brilliant. I still am perplexed as to how it connects with PSO, but I don't know any of the plot from Ep. 3. What's the basic premace behind that game?

Sonic Saturn
11-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I've sen one of the old oes ina shop, then I saw the price, 29.99, the other games on the megadrive were 3.99 or something, then mega drive game that I wnat comes a long, and it's a months pocket money! AAGGGHHH!!!!! And are there any Phantasy Satrs on the Saturn?

Wootem Ace
11-04-2005, 09:44 PM
I have all of them...2 is most def my favorite, and I found 1 to be inredibly annoying (I don't know what compelled me to buy the sequel).

Teh EkwEE
11-04-2005, 09:46 PM
YOu can buy Phantasy Star I II & III for GBA........it's called Phantasy Star Collection.

Ben_G
12-04-2005, 01:54 AM
YOu can buy Phantasy Star I II & III for GBA........it's called Phantasy Star Collection.

Awesome!, I'll have to get to see if i can get it. I've always wanted to see what they were like.

Anti Hacker
12-04-2005, 10:44 AM
w00t go old skool pso! I used to play it alot.

Mirinee
12-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Tried to play PS4, but it was already 1998 and there were much better games around :evil:, so never really got into it.

Does anybody have ANY idea how the plots of those and the PSO series connect? Try http://www.camineet.net/ for some links between PS and PSO. It's really in-depth, though it makes no sense to me becuase I haven't played the PS games.
I'm okay on the PSO plot, though :). (Not much of a plot :S.)

Kaze
12-04-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't usually follow his arguments too well. A lot of the time, he makes some assumptions. A lot of his ideas about the connection between PSO and the earlier PS games is just about the presence of newmans as a species, and he never considers that they may be a species simply because the makers of PSO wanted to keep newmans in the series. He takes everything as if the makers of PSO have deeply thought out every little thing, but the presence of newmans and meseta and such simplicities are simply for preservation of previous game tradition. I don't see it as relating to plot at all. He never seems to consider things such as this. Also, most of his theories are dependent on other theories of his to make any sense. His idea of how the people of the Pioneer ships are algolians makes no sense at all, especially when you think about how their homeworld was named Coral. If they were from Algol, they would already have known of DF, and his presence on Ragol. One thing I could almost believe, though.. was that one of the ships that escaped Palma before its destruction in PS2 actually managed to colonize another world, and they maintained their technology, but forgot their history. The society seen on the pioneer ship relates, to me, closest to the society in phantasy star 2. We never can truly know if Nie and Niefirst are the only newmans at this time, and you do see that in PS2, the government controls everything, including the flow of information. This is true of PSO, as well. I can believe that, chronologically, PSO comes after PS4, but I don't think that the people aboard Pioneer 2 come from a post-PS4 algo. It just doesn't make any bloody sense!

Mirinee
12-04-2005, 03:18 PM
*Salutes*
Wow, you know so much PS history. I'm sorry I'm not in a position to debate with you, but do share your views with us. :)

Jen
12-04-2005, 06:46 PM
hehe its a hard timeline to place PSO in. they are definatly connected but how has been argued a thousand times on a thousand message boards.

i played them a long time ago and i was overjoyed when somewhere on these boards someone posted a ling to... www.pscave.com theres the roms and emulaters to play all of the old games on that site. had great fun replaying them recently, and i love PSII the best :)

Wootem Ace
12-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Despite the fact that I have all the originals, I bought the collection too for GBA, and have wasted so much time playing PS2 on that. (PS being Phantasy Star for our slower members. Not Playstation 2. Because Playstation sucks.)

Kaze
12-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Ace, you think that maybe my little ramble on where the folks in the pioneer ships come from? Man, the whole thing is really messed up, and I do hope that they tell us more in the next couple of games... anybody know what they revealed in PSO ep. 3? I never played... no chance to..

Teh EkwEE
13-04-2005, 12:11 AM
0.o The first Newmans name was Nei not Nie.........

Kaze
13-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Blarg! I was close! Lol. I never was good with names.

Mirinee
18-04-2005, 10:06 AM
i played them a long time ago and i was overjoyed when somewhere on these boards someone posted a ling to... www.pscave.com *Ego boost* Yey, that was me :P.

Here's another site that tries to draw comparisons.
http://www.algol-star-system.net/library/comparisons-pso.htm

Hardly anything was revealed in PSO Episode III. There was a tiny bit about Dark Falz and Olga Flow, but I don't think it has any relevance to PS. *Agh. Doesn't know anything about PS*.

Kaze
18-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Thank you for that link. I always like remembering the older games... the PSO plot was a bit lacking for me. Too bad, I guess. I'll have to wait for PSU.

mr_shoe_uk
18-04-2005, 08:38 PM
I got the collection on GBA, and though PS1 is really hard, I do enjoy it a lot so far. 2 and 3 I haven't actually tried yet, I might starting playing PS1 again on the school bus, so I can try the others!

~Buddah~
03-05-2005, 05:40 AM
im thinking about getting that did it come stateside