PDA

View Full Version : A truly great rpg?

Kashima
30-03-2005, 12:37 AM
What makes a truely great rpg people? Is it graphics, accurate voice overs, playability, story or something else ? To me one of the greatest rpgs series as a whole was the dot hack games, They had it all good controls realistic and diverse characters it simulated the whole online experience (( there were even glitches in game ! )) everyone was accurately voiced the musical score was breath taking and best of all the story kept you gripped from beginning to end. I hadnt felt so compelled and sympathetic towards characters since i had to deal with the death of aerith in final fantasy seven so post and tell what rpg you think is truely great and why

Fabo Craven
30-03-2005, 01:18 AM
.Hack is a great series. It was all that a good rpg should be addicting(food),fun, enjoyable, and realalistic. You could almost see a game company coming out with "the World"
Thats not my vote though. The Dark Cloud series was soooo much more addicting(food), and fun, and it was less realistic but the graphics made some of the Cinema Scenes more funny. #1 was good and addicting(food), but when #2 came out they kept the old ideas but changed them enough to make it seem new. It was sooo cool.

Mog Boy Yezno
30-03-2005, 01:31 AM
I have only played the first og the .Hack series, though final fantasy has to be one of my favorites, from Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy X-2, and the tactics and tactics advanced, great rpg's i tell you.
I would probably like star ocean more if it came out with more games, i love the battle system in those games, you do what you want when you want, not take turns shooting and slashing eachother.

Kashima
30-03-2005, 01:33 AM
there is actually a very lovely yet underknown star ocean game for the playstation every bit was wonderful as its ps2 sequel perhaps you should find it as well

Mog Boy Yezno
30-03-2005, 01:38 AM
there is actually a very lovely yet underknown star ocean game for the playstation every bit was wonderful as its ps2 sequel perhaps you should find it as well

You mean Star ocena the second story? i own that too but the graphics are not that great, though Ashton was a great idea for a character.
http://artists_hangout.tripod.com/Images/AshtonAnchors_roxy.jpg

Fabo Craven
30-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Ummmm.....Mog Boy Yezno the link does not work. Please try again.

Mog Boy Yezno
30-03-2005, 01:59 AM
really, that sucks (im new at this) it works for me though, o well, sorry everyone.

Fabo Craven
30-03-2005, 02:26 AM
another Great RPG is The Legend Of Zelda 2: the Adventure Of Link. That is the best Zelda game out there. It uses exp come on how many other Zelda games use exp? none thats how many. It was revolutionary on the NES and its still in its glory on the CLassic NES Series on the GBA.

Karasu Murder
30-03-2005, 05:47 AM
My favorite RPG's are actually for the computer. I really like the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games, especially Baldurs Gate II. The character intereaction can get hilarious with the right mixture of party members, so it's entertaining on another level. The music for it is decent and the graphics are okay for the style, but I love it for the bantering and all of the little side storylines that pull you farther into the major storyline.

decswxaqz
30-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Whenever I think of RPG I auto-assume it's turn-based. I don't think there is a decent RPG that hold a candle up to the old-school turn based games.
Pools of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Pools of Darkness have to be one of the best RPG series in my opinion. No fancy graphics but lots of depth and plot. I do like Neverwinter Nights but I'm just getting overwhelmed in it's size and complexity. Even more so with Morrowind. An RPG should feel like your getting into the story. With something so large, you feel like you are just watching stuff go by and not making a lot of difference.
That's where FF got it right. It just seems so much more compact than the sprawling PC games. You can feel apart of the party and not just another member (if you know what I mean ;))

Kisanzi
30-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Anyone ever heard of a little RPG series called Grandia? That's my pick. The most important thing in a good RPG is the characters, the story and the battle system. I don't really care about graphics, cinematics or flashy gimmicks. All I want is characters with distinguishable, interesting and realistic personalities and motives. Plus having a good direction to go with the plot is also crucial. And last, and almost definitive is the battle system. Not to say that I hate Final Fantasy's ATB battle system, but it is so outdated and overused now that I try to look for something deeper than jumping and exchanging slaps with the enemies. This is the place where Grandia truly shines for not only does distance, position and turn matter, but you've got to work with it under the circumstances of the enemies moving and plotting right there against you. The turn-bar, cancel hits and skills/spells are as amazing as they are practical and provide a much more unique feel over any other RPG on the market. So to sum up this long excursion, I mostly look for good characters/plot on top of innovation in the RPG formula for a truly GOOD role-player. *Gasp*

decswxaqz
30-03-2005, 09:48 AM
I like Grandia 2, although never finished :(

Kashima
30-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Anyone ever heard of a little RPG series called Grandia? That's my pick. The most important thing in a good RPG is the characters, the story and the battle system. I don't really care about graphics, cinematics or flashy gimmicks. All I want is characters with distinguishable, interesting and realistic personalities and motives. Plus having a good direction to go with the plot is also crucial. And last, and almost definitive is the battle system. Not to say that I hate Final Fantasy's ATB battle system, but it is so outdated and overused now that I try to look for something deeper than jumping and exchanging slaps with the enemies. This is the place where Grandia truly shines for not only does distance, position and turn matter, but you've got to work with it under the circumstances of the enemies moving and plotting right there against you. The turn-bar, cancel hits and skills/spells are as amazing as they are practical and provide a much more unique feel over any other RPG on the market. So to sum up this long excursion, I mostly look for good characters/plot on top of innovation in the RPG formula for a truly GOOD role-player. *Gasp*

I have only played grandia two but ryudo and argh millenia i think her name was were my fave chars since my little beastie friend didnt last till the end

God-IX
30-03-2005, 05:57 PM
What makes a truely great rpg people? Is it graphics, accurate voice overs, playability, story or something else ? To me one of the greatest rpgs series as a whole was the dot hack games, They had it all good controls realistic and diverse characters it simulated the whole online experience (( there were even glitches in game ! )) everyone was accurately voiced the musical score was breath taking and best of all the story kept you gripped from beginning to end. I hadnt felt so compelled and sympathetic towards characters since i had to deal with the death of aerith in final fantasy seven so post and tell what rpg you think is truely great and why

A truly great RPG is identified by all of those, but to me, what makes an RPG different from the rest of games, is the storyline, without the storyline, it would be just you running around killing stuff.....don't get me wrong, those games are fun to, but that is the reason I play an RPG

All of the others such as graphics, etc. just make the game better, and it doesn't get boring as fast (except Final FantasyX-2)

Although, everyone has thier own opinions about a game, these are mine, and are not intended to offend anyone in anyway

Kashima
30-03-2005, 06:01 PM
A truly great RPG is identified by all of those, but to me, what makes an RPG different from the rest of games, is the storyline, without the storyline, it would be just you running around killing stuff.....don't get me wrong, those games are fun to, but that is the reason I play an RPG

All of the others such as graphics, etc. just make the game better, and it doesn't get boring as fast (except Final FantasyX-2)

Although, everyone has thier own opinions about a game, these are mine, and are not intended to offend anyone in anyway

there was nothing offensive about that whatsoever god ! :D

God-IX
30-03-2005, 06:05 PM
haha, I know, but people like to criticize me when I make my opinion

"Thats wrong"

So i figured, I might as well tell the idiots that were thinking that, that it was not intended for thier remarks, only my opinion, heh

Archer
31-03-2005, 07:53 AM
To sum it all up in a simple concept, Morrowind is a great RPG. Its long, its fun and it challenges you though it could be improved :P. I think almost all RPGs are great if they have strong characters (sometimes), a good plot, good interactivity and are still open ended.

God-IX
31-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Ah...Morrowind...A truly great game....

Morrowind is indeed one of the best RPG's....I have spent a lot of time playing that game..and have yet to beat it