PDA

View Full Version : Duping, time to settle this....

whiteninja
29-01-2005, 06:16 AM
There are alot of threads that argue about wether or not duping is legit. I have only seen 3 views on this: yes, no, and "only as a backup for FSOD." So, I have decided to make a poll for this topic. Merely vote on what you think it is and that's that. Then, if anyone every wants to know what the opinion is, they could check this poll and find the general beliefs of this forum. When you vote, you don't need to say how you voted, or why you voted that way, or your personal opinion; in fact, don't. Just vote and leave it at that so that people can get a simple objective view of the topic, not a subjective one with bickering over thoughts and beliefs.

Anti Hacker
29-01-2005, 11:56 AM
No, no, and no. Its not legit, however you put it :D

C.O
29-01-2005, 02:33 PM
It's not legit at all. So, NO!

HUchamp
29-01-2005, 05:02 PM
its a glitch, NO

Cloud
29-01-2005, 05:05 PM
of couse not... what do you thing ninja?

misterbud
29-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Technicly as it is a glitch, it is not "legit".

BUT. When being used to counter another, even more harmful glitch, I would say it is fine.

Phantom_RAcast
29-01-2005, 10:49 PM
there is and never will be a good reason to cheat (for the dense no)

Anti Hacker
02-02-2005, 06:53 PM
How can anyone consider duping to be legit, ok, i have sympathy for those who have corrupted, but still...

Cloud
02-02-2005, 06:58 PM
you have to admire the people who have corrupted 5+ times and are still playing legit tough :P it must me frostrating having to find gear that many times

Anti Hacker
02-02-2005, 10:36 PM
6 times, still legit, lol :cool:

Cloud
03-02-2005, 12:23 AM
6 times, still legit, lol :cool:
*bows to anti hacker*

Anti Hacker
05-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Last time it was my own fault, i wanted to see what would happen if i tried to get onto the 50hz ships online when they no longer existed... yeah that was pretty stupid ;)

whiteninja
06-02-2005, 12:38 AM
you should have made a file on an empty memory card and tested it... too late now

misterbud
06-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Ivan is on his eighth corruption. Ph34r him.

EDIT: Aparantly it's nine now... Just got word over the phone.

Faulkie
06-02-2005, 08:33 PM
I think that it's ok for backups. I wouldn't do it personally, but if you have mega-rares and you get FSOD (which happens every 5 seconds) you're gonna get pretty annoyed.

seiryu
06-02-2005, 09:25 PM
personally, I think duping is not legit at all, regardless of reason. but if fsod and corruption happen frequently, I feel duping for backups only is reasonable, but still not quite legit. :P

whiteninja
07-02-2005, 03:13 AM
so it seems to be that if you dupe, you can consider youself 25% legit but not fully. i wonder if anyone will have the guts to say that duping is legit, for any reason, not just backups.

NetNomad
07-02-2005, 03:56 AM
Probably a hacker would, yes. But besides them, dunno... me, I think it'd be a problem if one were to actually USE their dupes. For instance, if I were to dupe my God/Battle units (not that I could, at least not by myself as I have PSO+) to put on my other characters, that would definitely be unlegit; it's a pain to hunt for these things over and over, but there shouldn't be any "taking the easy way out" in games like this. And of course, giving a dupe to someone else for any reason makes both of them unlegit (and of course, shame on those who trade dupes for other, legit stuff). BUT... storing them (preferrably on another character, as not to be confused with the non-duped items) for FSOD insurance would be just, as misterbud pointed out, glitch-against-glitch. One of the few times I've been online, I was just wandering around Altair when I ran into a couple people, one of whom threatened to FSOD me (it was Altair 02). Not sure if they could have done it, although I left that block rather quickly afterward. :ermm: Point is, nobody asks to be FSOD'd (I would assume...), and if I had been FSOD'd I'd want to get my items back.

Deadly Zero
07-02-2005, 04:04 AM
i think its alright even though i dont do it couse i have plus and you cant on that game and because i dont know how. i see why many would say it is unlegit couse it is a glitch but i wanted to be different and actually believe it might be legit and was put in the game for something but oh well :P

DarkMagician
07-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Seriously, you lot live in a fantasy world in your heads! OPEN YOUR EYES! Duping characters as backups is A GOOD IDEA! I too have felt the scourge of corruption. I bet there will be some stupid little idealists who say, "Oh no DarkMagician is a hacker! Let's grass him up and pick on him!" I do not care.

The fact of the matter is, as long as it is not for BAD THINGS, (Double items) I say copying a character for backup is good.

Anti Hacker
07-02-2005, 11:36 AM
OK, who said yes on the poll? Its not legit, even if it is a good idea, as part of the definition of legit is not to dupe. You cant be 25% legit, thats crap, youre legit or youre not... there are no comprimises :@

NetNomad
07-02-2005, 07:21 PM
It would depend on your definition of legit. If I did have dupes, I would still consider myself legit because I'd never use them and keep them only for backups. But percentages? That's just someone's opinion - although if you go and use your dupes, you are (IMO) 0% legit... for sure.

Nano
07-02-2005, 07:53 PM
I have to argree with DarkMagician. Corrpution sucks. Backups from that point is nice, even though it is duping. Kill me for doing it.

whiteninja
07-02-2005, 09:54 PM
i think its alright even though i dont do it couse i have plus and you cant on that game and because i dont know how. i see why many would say it is unlegit couse it is a glitch but i wanted to be different and actually believe it might be legit and was put in the game for something but oh well :Pduping was definitely not put into the game for a reason. ST actually tried to stop some forms of it by using the double save (even though that ended up corrupting some people). with things like piping, it was there in the DC and ST did nothing to try to change it for ep 1 & 2, so piping is there for a reason (even though the reason may be that ST is lazy). piping is a topic for a completely different thread, though.

masterofchaos
07-02-2005, 10:15 PM
I think it is unlegit but does not make me mad im olny angry with the ones that fsod

Sd28
07-02-2005, 10:23 PM
hey dm how many topics have there been on dupping iean ive lost count and the fact is they solve NOTHING

whiteninja
07-02-2005, 10:28 PM
this thread is meant to solve it because it gives a clear cut answer to the legitness of duping if you look at the poll results. which currently state that the majority's opinion is: no, it isn't legit.

Deadly Zero
08-02-2005, 12:45 AM
OK, who said yes on the poll? Its not legit, even if it is a good idea, as part of the definition of legit is not to dupe. You cant be 25% legit, thats crap, youre legit or youre not... there are no comprimises :@
i said yes. i am a legit player but there always a small chance that it is there for a reason and dont argue with me as it is my oponion and everyone can have their own right??? well some of you may think i am unlegit but i am not and dont plan on duping items or becoming a hacker for that would spoil the game :P

DarkMagician
08-02-2005, 12:54 AM
hey dm how many topics have there been on dupping iean ive lost count and the fact is they solve NOTHING

Hey, YOU ARE RIGHT! CLOSE THIS! NOW!

Deadly Zero
08-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Hey, YOU ARE RIGHT! CLOSE THIS! NOW!
yeah DM is right just close this before an argument breaks out

Kal
08-02-2005, 02:23 AM
this is going to sound really dumb but wat is the point of debating about dupes?
Are they really that bad? Keep in mind i've never played online. But if someone has a wepon u want why not dupe?

whiteninja
08-02-2005, 04:50 AM
because someone else worked hard to get it and you didn't, so why should you get the benefits of someone else's work?

that's like if you had a job and i didn't but i got the same amount of money from that company as you, even though i just stayed at home and played pso while you worked 40 hours a week. you wouldn't like that would you?

Deadly Zero
08-02-2005, 04:56 AM
lol thats true but then again....

Zer0
08-02-2005, 08:00 AM
if you have 1 item and you then dupe it to get 2 items is the second one legit? no cuase its not the real one. lol i was going to make a story but i didnt bother

Anti Hacker
08-02-2005, 11:09 AM
If its a dupe of a legit weapon that isnt going to be used for you own personal benefit (aka a trade so you can keepthe old wep and get the new one) and if its only for backup, i guess it could be legit. But if its a dupe of a hacked weapon or an extremely rare weapon (like the TJ) even if that weapon was legit, then i think duping in those circumstances would not qualify as legitimate gameplay.

Faulkie
08-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Sometimes you gotta do something bad to prevent something worse, for example, if someone was about to shoot you, you have a right to punch them in the face as self defense.

Anti Hacker
08-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Sometimes you gotta do something bad to prevent something worse, for example, if someone was about to shoot you, you have a right to punch them in the face as self defense.

and then they still shoot you, heh, twice for the insult of punching them. Yeah i guess youre right, but if its not under the circumstances i stated, then i stick to my viewpoint.

Faulkie
09-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Maybe it wasn't the best example, but you get what I mean, right?

Deadly Zero
09-02-2005, 01:29 AM
yeah i understand ( i think )

NetNomad
09-02-2005, 02:04 AM
I can tell you this: if I ever found a Sealed J, I'd go find someone with a non-plus copy and get it duped... I'd never trust something that rare and valuable to FSOD or BSOD. Thing about the Sealed J, though, as I was told... it creates a counter for that particular J when it's tekked... meaning a hacker-created Sealed J can't ever become a TJ.

whiteninja
09-02-2005, 02:21 AM
unless you duped it in "?SPECIAL WEAPON" format, so that it wouldn't be tekked or have the counter yet. still though, if you want to save your really rare weapons from being lost to FSOD, don't use them online. you shouldn't be able to have 2 SJS because you found one of them and don't want to lose it because 1 doesn't equal 2 (last time i checked, anyway).

you even said, NetNomad, "a hacker-created Sealed J can't ever become a TJ", in reference to a duped SJS. so you are saying that duping is a form of hacking, and hacking is illegit. which brings the conclusion that duping is illegit, according to you.

what is BSOD by the way? i know its bad, but i don't know what it actually is

misterbud
09-02-2005, 03:53 AM
Actually, the Tsumakuri J-Sword has been proven to be legit, at least...last I heard. Use the search button and look for a relatively old topic.

whiteninja
09-02-2005, 04:26 AM
i know it is legit, i didn't say that it wasn't. i was saying if you duped a SJS you couldn't turn it into a TJS, which is believed to be true. no one really knows what exactly you do to unseal the SJS, but alot of people say to kill 23000 enemies. i'm saying that even if you found a SJS and you want a backup, go find another. might not be too fun to do, but that's the legit way to do it.

NetNomad
09-02-2005, 04:32 AM
you even said, NetNomad, "a hacker-created Sealed J can't ever become a TJ", in reference to a duped SJS. so you are saying that duping is a form of hacking, and hacking is illegit. which brings the conclusion that duping is illegit, according to you.
I meant, if a hacker were to just create one in tekked form. I dunno anything about hacking, so maybe they can create it in untekked form, too. But yeah, I know about duping in untekked form, as I know people who do it (and ask for items they'd like to be left untekked, as to create their backups from untekked weapons).

And BSOD = corruption (I think that's what I read on that one thread... could be in this forum, don't remember :P ).

Vincent Rayne
09-02-2005, 04:49 AM
i mean seriously...

i would think duping would take the fun out of the game...
i mean you would have anything you would ever need...

if you found a highly rare weapon...
you could dupe it and trade for every item you wanted...
how stupid...

misterbud
09-02-2005, 03:24 PM
I wonder what ever happened to the person testing it for us?

*Calls out to Wednesday*
She seems to have dropped off the forums :(

*Wishes somone else would test it for us...*

Anti Hacker
09-02-2005, 05:06 PM
:cool: Heh, BSOD=Corruption? Thats a new oen on me! If you are on pioneer 2 and go somewhere that causes the music to change (P2 streets to shop etc.) or if you use a telipipe sometime the screen will freeze (black), the music will carry on and a message will be displayed saying to turn off and refer to you instruction manual. This is BSOD, or Black Screen of Death, if you do what the screen says you may be left with the effects of FSOD. However if you open the disc cover for a few moments and then close it again (you may possibly need to spin the disc, im not sure on that though) the game will resume as normal leaving you with no nasty after effects. If youre on-line the game-sync will be lost and you will disconnect... so re-connect, nothing lost. This happens offline to, and there is no code to cause it, its just a random glitch that is NOT caused by other players. I might add, the worse condition your disc is in, the more frequently this will happen. This has happened to me twice and both times it was a telipipe from P2 to the surface of ragol. Hope this helps you guys

DarkMagician
10-02-2005, 11:09 AM
How many types are there again!? BSOD, FSOD and I think there was one other...

Nano
10-02-2005, 11:15 AM
How many types are there again!? BSOD, FSOD and I think there was one other...
LSOD too.

Can't Sega just patch up all the bugs they find and ban those stupid hackers? Yes, I know that would make them lose money(which is the reason the DON'T ban them, since there are so many), but still, they destroy the whole point of the game.

As the Nazi's tried to kill jews, why don't we play nazis? The only difference is that we kill illegits! Hitlers solution was to kill all jews, so we can kill all silly hackers! Jippie! We're all doing like our role model, Adolph Hitler!

Or mabye he's not our role model...? The paragraph over this was pure irony, just to make sure no one think I'm a nazi or something.

DarkMagician
10-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Arigato, Nano. that was it. Okay!

Anti Hacker
10-02-2005, 07:40 PM
I know hackers are bad and stuff, but i dont think we should compare them to Nazis! :D

Faulkie
11-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Yeah, they're not QUITE that bad... :D

Anti Hacker
11-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Yes i dont think thats a realistic comparison, unless you think FSODing is as bad as burning people... which personally i dont. Although it is rather annoying