PDA

View Full Version : RPG maker

Ria
12-12-2004, 03:08 AM
ok I saw this on Amazon:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0761543562.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

1: What console is it on?

2: Is it any good?

3: Are there any RPg making programs like that, that are better?

I'm just curious

Schoichet
12-12-2004, 05:31 AM
i think PS2

i have herd its good, but its complicated

for the computer try rpg toolkit

Kisanzi
12-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Yep, thats the PS2 RPG maker. As far as being any good...ummm...no. The interface is too complicated, the commands dont work well with a controller and the battle engine is like that of the early dragon warriors (and talk about blocky 3D graphics, blech!). If you want a good one I'd actually recommend the first RPG maker on the PSone. Even tho the graphics are all 2D, you could at least manipulate the game to make it unique and fun. If you want to make an attempt at the PC RPG makers, be my guest. You'll be sucked in forever downloading new skins, sprites, etc. And once you get around to actually making the game you'll have completely forgotten the direction you initially wanted. Truth be told, I actually enjoyed the RPG maker on the dreamcast the most, although its only in japanese. But regardless it was the best I had seen, you just got to find translations for it.

Schoichet
12-12-2004, 08:50 PM
rpg toolkit is 2d and uses sprites that are prity easy to make... just thought i would point that out

EDIT: and free :D

Kisanzi
12-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah...as far as PC RPG maker stuff, I've only used RPG maker 2003. It was a gigantic mess of downloads and templates, a truly traumatizing experience. But if I ever open up some free time I'll definitely give a look at RPG toolkit.

Ria
12-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Mmm thanks everyone, I think a friend has an RPG maker program. Time to pester them :P

Schoichet
12-12-2004, 10:20 PM
lol, ok goodluck

decswxaqz
13-12-2004, 10:54 AM
I've always liked the idea of a RPG maker but can't design anything. I can programme it probably. Just not make anything to do with story or characters =/

cOoLdUdE
13-12-2004, 01:31 PM
I cant think of a story line,plus i would probally get bored of it

Shade
13-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Look for the PC's RPG maker 2003...
It is kinda like FF6 graphics, easy to use...
And you can interface completely...
(not to mention test your games after)

I am currently trying to make a PSO RPG on mine...
FUN!!!

Dkgamer
13-12-2004, 01:58 PM
I have also used RPG Maker 2003, i find that it is very easy to use but as Kisanzi said, you will probably have to download or design a lot of character sets, sprites etc if you dont want your game to look the same as everyone elses. But it is a good program that you will learn to use very quickly, and if you know what your doing you can make some pretty good games.

I actually have a site that i use to host some of the games that i have made using RM2K and RM2K3, but i havent accessed it in a while and i dont know if the downloads are still up. But i will try and get the downloads up and put up a link so you can try my games.

Faulkie
13-12-2004, 07:10 PM
The whole idea sounds fun, I'd like to do that.

psychoticdemon
14-12-2004, 02:56 AM
the rpgmaker series were ported to the pc from ps2 i think, its quite easy to code in it as most of the stuff is very basic and easy to pull off. That and there are a lot of guides on it about

Dkgamer
14-12-2004, 01:13 PM
It could take me a while to get my games uploaded onto my site, as i need to find them and i may need to open a new accout if my site is gone. Im just wondering if i should bother doing it, what does everyone think?

cOoLdUdE
14-12-2004, 01:23 PM
How does this game work?

Schoichet
16-12-2004, 06:19 AM
if you meen rpg maker, from what i have herd it has a basic rpg to start, then it lets you alter the monsters levels skills and that stuff

if you meen the real rpg maker program for the pc, i think that is a real developing tool