PDA

View Full Version : My epic quest to get online with Tiscali broadband

Faulkie
07-04-2004, 08:21 AM
I used shared internet connection using an ethernet cable. There are several ways but if you have tiscali broadband (it may work with other ISP's too) you should at least consider this method.

You need
1) Some knowledge of computers
2) A networking card (some computers have this built in)
3) A Gamecube BBA (broadband adapter)
4) An RJ45 crossover cable
5) A gamecube and PSO ep 1 and 2 (not sure about 3)

Ok, here we go...

first, you must connect to tiscali.
Then, you plug the RJ45 crossover cable from the gamecube to to back of the computer, the socket that says ethernet.
Then, you set up the shared internet settings (I can't quite remember exactly how I did this but I'm sure that I went to control panel, then connection and network settings, then network settings, I'll look into it)
Then, make sure you're connected, then go to options (on the gamecube) and select purchase hunter's licience.
Finally, you must go to homepage on the gamecube and set up the internet connection. All I needed to input was the DNS address (4 numbers separated by full stop (.)'s). You must have access to this number!! Our ISP sent it to us via email so we're ok, but if you were'nt sent this, you could always phone your ISP and ask.
Then, you play!

If I've forgotten anything, add to it.

If you're wondering why I did this, I don't want anyone else to go through what I did. I also wanted to give back to ragol.co.uk.

Ok, bye (for now)

Faulkie
16-04-2004, 09:49 AM
It is now confirmed. It works with (that I know of) all ISPs

Uae
16-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Do you have to put in the ip number for your isp or a dns for your network card?

Beat X500
16-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Im having trouble gettin set up with Xbox Live using Tiscali Broadband, its a real bugger

Faulkie
17-04-2004, 07:40 PM
you have to enter your dns number into the gamecube and when setting up the network card. (If I'm wrong about any of this PLEASE correct me)

Beat X500
19-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Faulkie, you wouldnt happen to know if Tiscali Broadband do Xbox live or not would you?

Faulkie
19-04-2004, 09:18 PM
sorry, I don't own an xbox

Beat X500
19-04-2004, 09:19 PM
NW anyways, ill ring them up and ask, just thought asking would be quicker :P:)

Uae
19-04-2004, 09:34 PM
All consoles should work with all companys as long as they dont require special soft where to log in eg AOL. If a company cant tell the difference between makes of network card then why should they be able to tell the difference between console network cards. The only difference is that if ur not using an xbox and phone customer support they atomatically recomend getting a xbox for online play :S (microsoft must pay them off lol)

Phantom_RAcast
19-04-2004, 10:49 PM
my ISP didn't recommend getting an X-box to play online. they just wanted to know wtf I was talking about

Faulkie
20-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Doesn't an xbox plug directly into the wall?

Beat X500
20-04-2004, 04:38 PM
No there are a few ways to connect to the internet via an xbox but unfortunatly none include a direct connection to the phone line