PDA

View Full Version : PSUniverse.net iRC Channel

colohue
18-10-2006, 06:57 PM
I can set up a channel easily enough on the chatspike server I frequent. I know the admin there quite well as it is.

What do you guys reckon? Is it worth setting up a #psuniverse? Maybe a public and private one? Depends. We don't have teamchat anymore and considering most people will be playing in window mode a bit of resizing could help out.

A few agreements and I'll start setting it up and making an iRC tutorial here.

Starman
18-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Well if people do wish to set one up, might I suggest QuakeNet (http://www.quakenet.org/) as the chosen network. Other than being the biggest IRC network in the world (Has listed here - http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/top100.php) it has a strong European community base.

Moonwraith
18-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Is this to be a public IRC channel for the site as a whole or one for the PSUniverse team?

I ask, because I would probably visit a public channel but since I am not affiliating myself with any team or guild in this game at all (no, not even PSUniverse.net, though I wish you luck) I would not visit a team-only chan.

Poo Fly
18-10-2006, 08:56 PM
i assume it would be used as a replacement teamchat system really, although switching windows would most likely start to bug me if i'm busy :x i wouldnt see any reason for those not affialated with the team to drop by if they wanted to chat though.

mr_shoe_uk
18-10-2006, 09:07 PM
I am not entirely sure if it will go ahead, but it seems that it would be better used as a separate chat room. I have no idea how team stuff in PSU works, but I imagine that either it will be as in PSOBB, or it will be non-existant, in which case we don't really need a team chat anyway.

nomercy
18-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I believe it would be better off as a seperate chat server, instead of a team chat server. That way players and forumers alike could talk easily.

Poo Fly
18-10-2006, 09:18 PM
team stuffs in psu is non existant, it would sort of be a way of working around that fact, a seperate chat server seems just as good, i have no clue how much i would use it currently. to be honest.

pink
18-10-2006, 09:24 PM
I don't really like IRC, so I wouldn't be using it. IRC is full of tons of security holes that, to say the least, displeases me.

colohue
18-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Well I would create two channels then. One for the site itself to answer queries and help and general chat. Two for private team usage. Team members would get the password and general access and we could use it for teamchat. As founder I would be in both to answer any questions and problems. Does that work out for people?

And yes teams are nonexistant, but that doesn't mean the PSUniverse.net community would not enjoy a server with which to chat and ask questions. We are a friendly community after all.

Darkwolf30
18-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Well i wouldnt mind chatting and all that but My dad told me IRC is full of stuff that could get into my computer easily so i woulndt be able to use that.

colohue
18-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Which is why I planned to use the Chatspike server. There are 20 people there commited to protection. When it comes to iRC the majority of bad things heard about it are from people who accepted the DSS send from people they don't know and recieved viruses. Simple way around it, don't accept.

pink
18-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Then there's the problem of IRC forking over your DNS address to everyone so they can figure out a really close area as to where you live.

colohue
18-10-2006, 10:58 PM
fair enough, your choice after all. Personally I just find that funny. If somebody wants to know where I live they just have to ask. If they want to travel all the way to this backwater place just to visit me I'll give them a bloody medal. :cool:

Moonwraith
18-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Then there's the problem of IRC forking over your DNS address to everyone so they can figure out a really close area as to where you live.
Stratics, where I run a channel, uses IP mirroring. Even I can only see people's proper IP addresses (instead of my own address being mirrored back at me) when I ban them.

Seems to be a few worries over IRC, but in reality, it's not as bad or risky as people seem to think.

Phantom_RAcast
18-10-2006, 11:34 PM
I dont know if it'd be worth your time setting up the channel. Ragol used to have one on that same network and it barely got used.

colohue
18-10-2006, 11:36 PM
We shall see what happens. There's enough positive here to at least give it a shot. I'll let you guys know when.

colohue
19-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Okay, the server is irc.chatspike.net.

the channel is #psuniverse. Hope to see you guys there.